Gransnet forums

House and home

Non plastic chopping boards

(57 Posts)
Flaxseed Fri 07-Aug-26 06:43:38

What’s everyone using instead of plastic chopping boards? Preferably dishwasher safe please?!
Obviously there are loads to choose on Amazon, but I would prefer recommendations please wink

Squiffy Fri 07-Aug-26 15:33:48

Squiffy

I believe wood is naturally antiseptic/antimicrobial. Not sure if that last indefinitely??

I’ve just found this research carried out in Wisconsin,

Although plastic chopping boards have a nonporous surface when new, many of the cheaper boards can scar quite easily when used with sharp cutting implements. With regular use, the damage accumulates over time and creates a rough surface that can become awkward to clean regardless of whether the board is soaked, cleaned manually with hot running water or placed in dishwasher using bleach and detergents. Of course, high-end plastic cutting boards are not as susceptible to such damage in everyday use.

The tests results indicate that the surface of a wooden board will actually stop dangerous bacteria from multiplying and the germs simply die out after a period of about three minutes. Following the experiment, the scientists at the University of Wisconsin found that 99.9% of the bacteria placed on the wooden chopping boards had died out completely within minutes whereas some of the cheaper plastic boards had very little effect in terms of killing dangerous microbes.

After being left overnight in normal room temperature conditions, the wooden chopping boards had no living bacteria left on them at all. Although the researchers were unable to identify how or why the wood cutting boards were able to kill off the bacteria – it really does seem that wood does have antibacterial properties after all.

JackyB Fri 07-Aug-26 13:11:40

I got some from Amazon because I got fed up with washing them up and I was looking for some I could put in the dishwasher. They are made of rice husks, vegan, plastic free. However, I just looked at them again and they are not available at present. I've had them 5 years now and they are still fine, despite almost daily dishwasher treatment. Sorry if this link is in German

amzn.eu/d/04gFLZTB

PinkCosmos Fri 07-Aug-26 13:08:57

I use a black marble one. I think it was originally a table mat from somewhere like Home Bargains. It's about A4 size and big enough for what I need. I just wash it in the sink. Prior to that I used an old white marble cheese board base. Unfortunately, I dropped it and it broke in half, hence the table mat. I don't know whether you can get actual marble chopping boards.

To me, the plastic ones look terrible when they are all scratched - very unhygenic!

The noise of the knife on a glass one sets my teeth on edge.

Not sure about wooden boards.

My friend has just had a new kitchen with a solid oak worktop. She has bought a large stainless steel cutting board. It has a lip that goes over the edge of the worktop

Shel1951 Fri 07-Aug-26 12:26:27

I have a stainless steel one after looking at my very worn scratched plastic ones which are now in the bin.

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Aug-26 12:15:01

Ours is wooden, scrubbed in the sink after use.

paddyann54 Fri 07-Aug-26 12:01:15

We have a set of bamboo chopping boards that were a new home present 38 years ago and they are still as good as new.
I use them every day.I also have two melamine boards that were my MIL,s probably over 40 years old

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-26 11:17:55

For any meat I use an old melamine chopping board which I wash straight afterwards. Often I use sharp scissors rather than a knife, for cutting up e.g. pieces of chicken.

Otherwise all my chopping boards are made of wood. I’ve had them all for years. Yes, Basgetti, I think they are naturally antibacterial.

Basgetti Fri 07-Aug-26 11:10:56

Wood. I think they’re naturally antibacterial?

Norah Fri 07-Aug-26 10:56:36

Bamboo.

If I cut meat when cooking for our children I crumple baking paper, smooth it flat, cover the bamboo chopping board - catches most meat juices.

MiniMoon Fri 07-Aug-26 10:44:38

I have a wooden butchers block. I wash it by hand and give it a scrub when necessary. I don't like plastic and can't use my good knives on glass.

MaizieD Fri 07-Aug-26 10:28:14

Whitewavemark2

Wood is best for your expensive kitchen knives

I worry for those kitchen knives, all that contact with glass and metal must render them useless grin

And trying to cut with blunt knives is dangerous.

Squiffy Fri 07-Aug-26 10:25:46

I believe wood is naturally antiseptic/antimicrobial. Not sure if that last indefinitely??

JenniRen Fri 07-Aug-26 10:24:35

Wooden and bamboo.

I scrub them with washing up liquid and hot water.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-Aug-26 10:21:06

Wood is best for your expensive kitchen knives

Patsy70 Fri 07-Aug-26 10:18:44

I use wooden ones and give them a good scrub. Also have a glass one which is easily cleaned.

lovethepuppies Fri 07-Aug-26 09:56:23

I got wood but have moved to stainless steel ones. The wooden ones are lovely but a lot of work to maintain.

petra Fri 07-Aug-26 09:42:50

Abitbarmy

I listened to an episode of Sliced Bread on BBC Sounds where this was discussed with some experts and the conclusion was wooden ones are the best. Just give them a good scrub immediately after use.

Here’s the episode for those who might be interested.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m002fwq7

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-Aug-26 09:32:13

I always use wooden.

When at school in domestic science we had wooden tables, chopping boards etc. after every use we scrubbed with hot soapy water and the wood was white and pristine.

My wood is not quite up to that standard😊.

MaizieD Fri 07-Aug-26 09:27:45

Abitbarmy

I listened to an episode of Sliced Bread on BBC Sounds where this was discussed with some experts and the conclusion was wooden ones are the best. Just give them a good scrub immediately after use.

When I worked in a hospital catering department which had its own butchery the butcher scrubbed the wooden butcher’s block with salt every day after work. Salt will see off just about any germ in existence.

(For those who are obsessive about ‘germs’ though obviously not those who have to be because they are vulnerable to infection of any kind)

Do people actually cut things up on these glass ‘worktop savers’?

Abitbarmy Fri 07-Aug-26 08:12:03

I listened to an episode of Sliced Bread on BBC Sounds where this was discussed with some experts and the conclusion was wooden ones are the best. Just give them a good scrub immediately after use.

jusnoneed Fri 07-Aug-26 08:01:44

I have never used plastic boards, I have a wooden one bought from Lakeland many years ago. Wash it by hand.
Also have a glass worktop saver which gets used if extra space needed.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Aug-26 08:01:01

I ve got a plain glass one I got from the charity shop years and years ago just wash it in my washing up bowl with everything else

Gran22boys Fri 07-Aug-26 07:58:02

25Avalon

I use a glass worktop saver. I don’t however put it in the dishwasher but it doesn’t take long to clean it by hand. They also come with various decorative patterns.

Same here.

25Avalon Fri 07-Aug-26 07:38:30

I use a glass worktop saver. I don’t however put it in the dishwasher but it doesn’t take long to clean it by hand. They also come with various decorative patterns.

tanith Fri 07-Aug-26 07:27:38

I have a bamboo set of 3 I don’t put them in the dishwasher I scrub them in hot water and better than plastic.