Gransnet forums

House and home

Air Conditioning units ,any advice please?

(36 Posts)
Delene100 Sun 16-Aug-26 14:40:41

Liz13

We have portable units, and have had for the last 15 years. They are far cheaper and up to this summer we've only needed them for a couple of times a year.

Which ones do you recommend?

B9exchange Sun 16-Aug-26 14:28:41

We have Daikin, we were told they were the Rolls Royce of air con units in 2013 when they were fitted. One in three of the four bedrooms and one in living room and one in the kitchen. Makes life worth living, and can switch them on to warm one room in the winter when we don't want to put the central heating on.

Redlisa Sun 16-Aug-26 13:51:22

We’ve had 5 heatwaves this year already. As I get older I find it more difficult to cope and I’m so grateful I have my air conditioning when it’s at its worse.
There’s no way global warming is stopping soon.

crazyH Sun 16-Aug-26 13:46:18

I have thought about - but, how often do we get a heatwave ? I was quoted £1700 for my bedroom. I’m happy with my ceiling fan 😂

Liz13 Sun 16-Aug-26 13:35:11

We have portable units, and have had for the last 15 years. They are far cheaper and up to this summer we've only needed them for a couple of times a year.

Grannybags Wed 12-Aug-26 14:07:12

We had Toshiba fitted about 4 years ago. Obviously no use to you if they aren't taking any more orders.

I just wanted to say if you have the inside unit fitted on an outside wall you don't need any piping to take away the excess condensation as the outside unit can be fitted directly to it. If that makes sense!

vegansrock Wed 12-Aug-26 12:36:48

My son has Fujitsu and they are quite quiet. We’ve done some research and have ordered Samsung waveless- won’t get it before October got 4 rooms in the house. It can also be used for heating .

avitorl Wed 12-Aug-26 12:27:54

Thank you both for your advice.I'm definitely going to get one for my bedroom as soon as possible, especially as VAT will be added from next March.

fluttERBY123 Mon 10-Aug-26 22:15:55

We have Fujitsu which obv cos of PO business we would have avoided if possible. Was the one used by v g installer. My son's is a different make but seems to work in much the same way. Our installer came for several home visits and measuring up. Other companies wanted us to do our own measuring and calculations - all about the volume of the room etc. You need a stronger unit for a bigger room. You also have to.work out where to fit a machine on an outside wall and the piping that goes to it from where the unit is fitted inside the house. Pipe is for moisture that is condensed in the cooling process.

Sar53 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:40:04

We had a Midea unit fitted in our lounge about 2/3 years ago. We are so glad we did.
Look them up. We would recommend them.

avitorl Mon 10-Aug-26 20:44:27

I have found the heat unbearable this summer and I'm
I'm trying to get Quotes to have a unit fitted in my bedroom and possibly my living room. Hitachi, Toshiba and Mitsubishi seem to be the units mainly used in the UK.Does anyone have any experience of any of these in their home?
It seems they are mostly on a waiting list to be supplied because of high demand and I've been informed Toshiba are currently not taking any more orders!