Gransnet forums

House and home

Milk going off quickly

(33 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 11-Aug-26 16:31:58

I ve just ten minutes ago thrown a whole two litre bottle away
I keep all my bread in the freezer and take out what I think I will need for the day it defreezers ( if that’s a word) very quickly

Oldnproud Tue 11-Aug-26 16:19:40

I've not had any problem with our milk yet, but I have had to start keeping my homemade bread in the fridge this summer, as that was going mouldy really quickly.

Samsara1 Tue 11-Aug-26 16:02:26

Our milk is direct from the farm twice a week (1 litre for 2 of us). It doesn't go off (I keep it in the door of the fridge) but I don't always use it all. I like this I can see the cows where my milk comes from - they don't mix it with any other milk.

On the other hand bread was going off but I had a metal bread bin so I changed to a wooden bin. Same with cake - metal cake tin changed to the plastic one - result nothing going off.

Greenfinch Tue 11-Aug-26 15:55:32

Mine has been going off too. I freeze sour milk and use it for scones as I can’t bear tipping it down the sink.

pably15 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:52:36

I.ve just been reading that if milk is kept in the fridge door it goes off quicker,as the door opens and closes, but I have always kept the milk in the door and it was always fresh.

pably15 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:49:05

I've noticed this too,I've tried milk from different supermarkets,their own brands and different brands, and they don't keep as fresh as they used to, and like you I thought it was my fridge. some weeks I've to pour some down the sink.

Shelflife Tue 11-Aug-26 15:47:54

Yes! Just had to throw quite a large amount away- still within the use by date.

Sueinkent Tue 11-Aug-26 15:34:20

Just lately, milk seems to be going off before the use by date. I know it’s not my fridge. Anyone else finding this? I wondered if the weather is affecting how it is being transported or even if it is on the farm. I know cows are not producing the usual amount due to heat stress.