Gransnet forums

House and home

Wooden blinds

(11 Posts)
Gingster Sat 03-Oct-26 07:47:55

Any tips on cleaning wooden blinds please? And keeping the dust off for a while?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Oct-26 08:32:30

No, but I would be interested to know myself 😹

Pittcity Sat 03-Oct-26 08:34:12

I put on a pair of cotton gloves and run my fingers through them. Maybe a bit of furniture polish or similar sprayed on them.
You can't stop dust though...can you?

Gingster Sat 03-Oct-26 08:34:29

They’re a pain in the proverbial, aren’t they GG. 😡

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 03-Oct-26 09:11:16

I drip the tiniest amount of washing up liquid into a half bucket of warm water, then a well wrung out microfibre. Finish off with a dry microfibre.
This dry dusty summer had me desperately hoping someone would just invent some gadget!

MT62 Sat 03-Oct-26 09:17:05

I’ve gone for Roman blinds in my conservatory, one wooden blind is enough to look after.

Lixy2 Sat 03-Oct-26 09:25:42

I use the vacuum cleaner with a soft brush head to dust mine every now and then.
Then washing up liquid in warm water rubbed along with a microfibre cloth.

Mine are in the conservatory and are a spider’s dream home it seems, so I put a squirt of vinegar in the cleaning water too.

They were in situ when we bought the house and I am reluctant to replace them, being of the ‘make do and mend’ frame of mind. But….. once they start to fail out they will go with no regrets!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Oct-26 10:18:35

The ones in the bedrooms are fine, just a quick dust.

The large one in the kitchen, well that’s a different story, I find myself standing in the worktop with a bowl of soapy water and a mountain of e-cloths…

Sago Sat 03-Oct-26 10:49:07

Yes fabric conditioner diluted, clean the blinds then dilute the fabric conditioner and rub over with a micro fibre cloth, it is anti static.

Kizzy1972 Sat 03-Oct-26 11:58:55

On the day mine were installed I was advised to close them and rub them all over with a tumble dryer sheet and they are all I use now, once every two weeks or so.

Gingster Sat 03-Oct-26 13:19:19

Yes I’d heard about the tumble drier sheets. I’ll give anything a go.
We have three windows in each bedroom, so alot of blind to dust 😡.
We bought this house from ds1 who had the blinds installed. They’re too good to replace but such a pain to clean.

Thanks for the ideas 🙏