Gransnet forums

House and home

Best cordless vacuum cleaner

(26 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:11:59

We recently bought a new vacuum cleaner - latest Samsung cordless model, easy to empty bin and with useful accessories. It cut out whilst in use after a couple of weeks and with no user manual we couldn't tell what the problem was.

Couldn't find user manual online. No-one at Samsung could help - very poor customer service. We have asked Samsung to collect it and give us a refund.

Can anyone recommend a replacement, please? This one had a detachable handheld part but I don't mind having separate handheld and upright vacuum cleaners as long as they are lightweight, convenient to use and easy to store. We have no pets but strong suction is still required.

We chose Samsung because it looked like the Dyson ones have a trigger button on the handle that has to be pressed continually to keep the power on. If that is not correct, please tell me!

Hoping someone can help.

Calendargirl Mon 13-Jul-20 18:45:25

I bought a new Bosch one recently. It was much cheaper than my last Dyson, the bin is not very big, needs emptying quite often.

I hate vacuuming, and just felt I was not going to spend as much as I did before, as it’s a job I don’t do any more often than I need to.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Jul-20 18:54:33

I have a Dyson Animal and Gtec.

I prefer the GTec.

Greyduster Mon 13-Jul-20 19:58:01

I’m watching this thread with interest as we’re on a quest for a cordless too. DH is in favour of the Dyson V10, but I am dithering. Anyone have any experience of John Lewis’s own brand cordless?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:00:45

My personal opinion is that Dysons are overpriced

Franbern Mon 13-Jul-20 20:01:09

This question comes up every few months. I would thoroughly recommend having a look at the GTECH. Upright with folding handle so can store in small cupboard and hand held, perfect for cars, stairs etc. Had mine for over 18 months now and not a single problem,

MaizieD Mon 13-Jul-20 20:08:52

Sharks are supposed to be very good. And they are actually made in the UK.

GTechs are made in China. Mind you, I'm very happy with my GTech.

butterfly1 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:25:32

I have a Shark Duoclean cordless and love it. Light weight, handle folds for easy storage and easy to use. Cleans well also

Calendargirl Mon 13-Jul-20 20:29:32

I agree WWM2

Alima Mon 13-Jul-20 21:09:07

We have a Shark and a GTech. Both very good at what they are made for. Definitely prefer the GTech, ease of movement, performance, weight.

grannyrebel7 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:16:09

I've got a Gtech too. It's great would definitely recommend. One thing though you need to buy the hand held version as well to do the stairs, but that's great as well.

Dollymc2 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:23:13

We are on our second Dyson cordless
It's really handy, but I find that after vacuuming for a little while, the area just to the side of my thumb starts to hurt
Maybe it's just me, but for that reason I wouldn't get another one

Evie64 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:49:54

We've just bought a Dyson V7 Absolute. Almost had to take a mortgage out though - £299! It's brilliant, but if you have it on full power it only lasts for about 10 minutes. On normal power you get about 25 minutes. It's great, but why can't they make a charge last longer? I suppose it's down to if they had a larger battery, the vacuum would be heavier?

Ramblingrose22 Tue 14-Jul-20 00:41:46

Dollymc2 and Evie64 - do your Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners require a trigger button to be pressed continually whilst using them please? IS this why Dollymc2's thumb starts hurting after a little while?

Dollymc2 - how long did your first Dyson cordless last before you had to replace it and what model is your new one, please?

Do the Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners have to be replaced once the battery can no longer be recharged or can the battery be replaced with a new one so that you don't have to replace the whole machine?

Thanks for your help with this.

Flossieturner Tue 14-Jul-20 08:30:18

I can’t recommend a good one but don’t buy the Vax cordless. It takes forever to charge and then only works for a short while. The cord into the device frayed and my son fixed it but now it has gone again. A very expensive mistake,

Juliet27 Tue 14-Jul-20 08:34:26

GTech recommendation from me too.

Dollymc2 Tue 14-Jul-20 21:23:06

Ramblingrose, our first Dyson lasted about four years until the 'boost' function stopped working. My DH still uses the hand held bit to clean the car, so the motor has lasted well
We now have the DC44, we have had that a few years now and it is still going strong
Pleased enough with it's performance, you're right, you have to keep the button pressed down and for some reason, it's really started to hurt if I vacuum for any length of time
I do have small hands, so maybe it's just me

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-20 21:31:45

The reviews I read a couple of years back were very favourable for the Shark.

Grannynise Tue 14-Jul-20 22:27:00

I've got a G tech and a Dyson. I prefer the G tech as the charge lasts longer and the handle collapses. You do need the little vacuum as well as the big one though.
The Dyson runs out of charge, particularly if you use the boost function, you do have to hold the button down all the time and it is harder to empty than the G tech.

Graso Tue 14-Jul-20 22:52:11

I’ve just bought a John Lewis own brand cordless vacuum and am happy with it so far.

That said, it’s the first I’ve owned so I can’t comment on how it compares to others, and it isn’t my ‘main’ vacuum but an extra bought to make stair and car cleaning easier (it does!)

£149, 40 minutes run time, 2 year guarantee, so far so good ?

Evie64 Tue 14-Jul-20 23:04:09

@Ramblingrose22 - yes you do need to hold the button down the whole time, but so far, I haven't found that to be a problem.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 15-Jul-20 00:06:27

Thanks for all the replies so far.

At the weekend I shall start researching the makes and models recommended so there's still time for more recommendations or tips on cleaners to avoid.

Jangran99 Wed 15-Jul-20 00:21:22

I had a Dyson then won a Shark (in a Gnet competition, thank you again) The Shark wins in all ways and the Dyson is retired to light duties upstairs!

ladymuck Wed 15-Jul-20 07:06:07

I'm also interested in the replies. Although I have two perfectly good vacuum cleaners, I need a small one to clean my pets cages.

ladymuck Wed 15-Jul-20 09:46:25

Talking about vacuum cleaners, I wonder if there has been a run on bagless machines. With non-essential shops closed during lockdown, there must be many people who were unable to buy bags, and have decided to swap to a bagless vacuum cleaner instead.