Gransnet forums

House and home

Burn mark on electrical radiator - how to remove

(5 Posts)
CoCo07 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:33:08

Hello all, I'm new to this website so I hope I'm posting this correctly - and sorry for the long post!

When I first moved into my apartment, the only place for my then-sofa to go was infront of this radiator but unfortunately it was too close and the back of that sofa ended up burning onto the front of my radiator.

I've since had a complete layout change and the radiator in question is now exposed and visible with this very unsightly mark on it. I sit opposite it every day now and it really bothers me.

I found an article a while ago saying Barkeeper's Friend would do the trick, however it was more of a powder than a paste and due to the holes in the radiator grill, some of the powder ended up getting stuck inside the radiator. I was freaking out because it's toxic and I've got cats so I tried getting the front grill of the radiator off however I couldn't find a manual, my landlord didn't know how to, I was told that due to COVID an engineer can't come out and they wouldn't anyway because it's not "serious" enough.

There are a few clips on the radiator and I thought the front would just pop off so I was using some pliars but unfortunately I ended up making a hole in the top corner of the radiator...

With regards to the powder, I think that's probably going to stay in there forever - I'll just be very mindful not to ever turn the radiator on, but I'm hoping someone knows how I can get that burn mark off?

Thanks so much in advance!

B9exchange Sat 19-Sep-20 19:35:53

Perhaps you could use a vacuum cleaner attachment to suck the powder out?

Could you google the manufacturer and ask them how to get the grill off, or if they have thoughts as to how to remove it? I assume you have tried every cleaning spray and scratch pad on the planet already.

It would bother me too, to the extent that I would seek to replace it if nothing else worked. Would your landlord go halves, as presumably in his/her interest to keep the place looking good for future tenants?

Sorry, I don't have a magic solution, but someone else may?

Davidhs Sun 20-Sep-20 07:40:47

The cover will not be designed to be removed because there are live heater elements and connection underneath. If to was me I would sand it smooth and touch it up with enamel paint if needed, otherwise replace it.

fevertree Sun 20-Sep-20 08:02:55

I'd also sand it (wearing a mask) and paint it.

We have a local independent shop that does a lot of restoration of anything and everything. The owner and I were chatting recently and I told her I wanted to repaint a concrete garden ornament but didn't think it would work (it belonged to my neighbour and it was pretty rough and weathered), and she replied "There is a paint for every eventuality nowadays" - so perhaps you could also ask a paint expert for advice.

My paint project turned out really well! smile

Carenza123 Sun 20-Sep-20 08:07:58

That looks pretty bad but as others have said - you can get advice and I’m sure there will be an appropriate paint to cover it.