Gransnet forums

House and home

Light Bulbs

(10 Posts)
Marmight Sun 20-Sep-20 11:57:09

As we know, light bulbs all tend to go bang at the same time. I have a large box full of every conceivable type of bulb - screw, bayonet, large, small, long, short but why is it the correct one is never there? It’s taken me 20 minutes to unscrew the cover from a reading lamp to release the weird 1.5” bulb with 2 bendy prongs. I know I bought 2 last time, but can I find even one........? Anyone else have this problem!

Pantglas2 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:03:53

This made me smile Marmight as I’m sure we’ve all been in that position! A drawer full of everything except the one you need - same with batteries isn’t it?

I recall as a child, light bulbs going every few months, they never seemed to last! My parents never had any spares (poor and feckless!) and would take one from MY bedroom (as I was the only girl) which meant I couldn’t read in bed!

My brothers, who rarely read, wouldn’t let me loll at the bottom of their beds to do so either! Grrr!

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 12:11:22

They usually go in September also ? Weird.
I remember when the bulbs went at home and dad would find a 25w one where we'd all be groping around aimlessly. A big drop from 100w to 25w in a large sitting room. It was horrible.

SueDonim Sun 20-Sep-20 13:45:15

They’re the bane of my life! The ones that go after a few weeks despite the claims that they’re good for 10,000 hours are the worst.

I now have one-and-a-half kitchen drawers full of lightbulbs, none of which seem to fit any other light except the specific one it was bought for.

Oh for the days when a 40watt, 60 watt and 100 watt bayonet covered all bases! grin

welbeck Sun 20-Sep-20 14:44:47

actually the task of trying to change light bulbs is one of the most frequent hazardous activities in the home, where most accidents happen.
agency careworkers refuse to do this, guess they are under orders.
it is a gap for many people who don't even need careworkers, but can come a cropper, literally, with this.
the old council home helps, anybody ? remember, were local helpful middle-aged women, who were quite happy to do what was needed.
guess that's why they got rid of them.
worked too well. along with nursing auxillaries for home nursing. had to be privatised. contracted out.
like the world-beating test-n-trace...

Franbern Sun 20-Sep-20 15:31:56

The new bulbs last forever though, Right back at the beginning of these I was sent a couple by my electricity suppliers (now this was definitely whilst I was still in the family house, from which I moved in 2003. I put that one in the bedroom and took it with me to my new bedroom when I moved.

Still going strong and it has come with me to this flat. Will probably outlast me.

I have one of Ikea units in my hallway which is just a series of square areas, in which you can fit drawers, cupboards etc. The bottom four has wicket baskets and one of these has loads of light bulbs. Got rid of the older type ones during my clutter clearance before I moved. So just modern long-lasting economical on electricity ones now.

Couple of days after I moved, I had my 6 foot 4 inch tall g.son change a lampshade in a ceiling fitting for me,. Clever lad, he has four A levels in science and maths, but had no idea how light bulbs worked. So, there was I having to talk him through taking out the bayonet bulb = he said he did not know these existed, thought all light bulbs were screw ones. Then telling how to, safely, take down the old shade and put up the new one, and then put in a modern bayonet light bulb in the fitting.

SueDonim Sun 20-Sep-20 15:50:56

The only lights which seem to last with us are the LEDs which were gradually moving over to using.

I wonder if our sometimes-erratic electricity supply (rural Scotland) is responsible for killing off other types, as we get surges and flickering.

crazyH Sun 20-Sep-20 16:00:11

Franbern - I have a grandson like that ?

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sep-20 16:06:17

JUST this minute bought even more bulbs. Wanted a high lumens, E27 fitting LED with lowest available wattage and 2700 Kelvin light colour so it would "match" the colour of the others in the room. Was ideally looking for a big round one but in the end gave up and just bought an "ordinary" shape!

Must have taken me 40 mins having already rung my local retailers yesterday!

So yes, maybe more efficient but too many variations.

tanith Sun 20-Sep-20 16:12:53

Led all over the house they last and last I haven't had one go in 4/5yrs now.