Gransnet forums

House and home

Widely Recycled?

(3 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 29-Sep-20 15:39:02

I expect this has been mentioned before, but I was about to re-cycle an empty bottle of kitchen cream cleanser, well known make.
I washed it out, and just glanced at the re-cycling instructions. The bottle and cap were ‘widely recyclable’, but the bright yellow plastic sleeve was not.
So I duly cut off the sleeve, and disposed of everything correctly.
But how many containers such as this are tossed into the wrong bin? Does the plastic sleeve mean it gets rejected somewhere down the line?
I cannot believe many people bother to read all the instructions.
Think a coffee whitener jar has a similar issue, not sure how many others are affected.

M0nica Tue 29-Sep-20 15:45:52

I always cut the plastic sleeve off any product I buy that has one. I would, of course, prefer the products to come without them, but there isn't always an alternative.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 29-Sep-20 15:50:12

Yes, Calendargirl, this is one of my favourite rants! Our council (and it's not the only one) will take only plastics marked 1 and 2, and just marking that something is widely recycled DOES NOT HELP!! Tesco is very bad for this with things like own brand cold meats (treated myself to some mixed salami recently, but won't do it again).

I'm sure you're right that people probably don't take the time to read the instructions when the bottle and the cap and the sleeve are all different.

Isn't it time that the manufacturers and the supermarkets took responsibility for sorting out the packaging so that it is either biodegradable or easily recyclable, rather than blaming the poor old customer who is trying to do her best?