Gransnet forums

House and home

House Move

(9 Posts)
EmmaHulbert Sat 16-Jan-21 22:20:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sunlover Sat 16-Jan-21 23:03:10

We moved around 3 years ago when we were 64. The hardest thing for me was decluttering a house we had lived in for over 20 years. Clearing the loft was a nightmare. Really hard work. My four children still had lots of things stored at the house which I didn’t want to take with us and they didn’t have room for. Was difficult to decide what to keep. We were lucky in that we had a couple of months between buying our new property and selling the old one so had time to move in slowly.
We knew the area of the new property so had no worries or problems.
Glad we did it when we did and didn’t leave it until we couldn’t manage the hard work.

Whiff Sun 17-Jan-21 06:33:38

EmmaHulbert who are you and why are you asking? Don't want some Gransnetter telling you their story only to find it published in some newspaper or on line blog.

EmmaHulbert Sun 17-Jan-21 09:06:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

kittylester Sun 17-Jan-21 09:10:21

Then you probably need to run this past GNHQ

EmmaHulbert Sun 17-Jan-21 09:31:44

Whiff Sun 17-Jan-21 09:42:42

EmmaHulbert sorry but don't think you should be using our experiences to set up your own business. Gransnet is a safe place for us to help eachother and not to be used as a business opportunity.

EmmaHulbert Sun 17-Jan-21 10:04:09

Franbern Sun 17-Jan-21 10:29:46

EmmaHulbert - the whole ludicrous, disastrous system in England and Wales with regard to house sales/purchase. All ages, at any times.

Legislation is required to change the law - they say that moving is one of the top three stresses in our lives (along with divorce and death). It is NOT the moving - it is the system, which has got so much worse over the past few years.

I moved house to house back in 2003 (aged 62 yrs)and it was bad but quite bearable. When I moved in 2019 it was a total nightmare - we are expected to be lawyers and although paying out large sums to solicitors have to do much of our own research for them.

If you are really interested in this, then do your own research and much of this can be done, easily by reading through the six lots of threads on House Moving Stress - will tell you all you need to know.