Gransnet forums

House and home

Selling and subsequently re-buying same house.

(12 Posts)
travelnan Sat 23-Jan-21 12:27:20

Has anyone ever sold their house and then buy it back again at a later date. Was it bought back from the original buyer or someone else. Just curious really I haven't done it!!

Missfoodlove Sat 23-Jan-21 13:17:42

No but one of our old homes was featured on a property show.
My daughter cried when she saw it as it was such a lovely happy home.

Scentia Sat 23-Jan-21 13:21:28

No but we put a house in part exchange and then my DD saw it on FB as one of her friends/acquaintances had bought it and she was moaning about the decorating as it was so poorly done!!! Well, how rude, I am a good decorator?

Jane10 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:31:05

I read an old book once, can't remember who it was by, and it was about a woman who bought her old childhood home. She'd loved it, came into some money years later so bought it for herself. Long story short, it didn't work out and she resold it but had resolved some of her earlier problems along the way.

eazybee Sat 23-Jan-21 13:49:46

I haven't done it, but my next door neighbours tried very hard to but the house opposite where they had lived over twenty years ago. They couldn't buy it, so they bought one nearby, next door to me.
Seems an odd thing to do, but one of them finds it very hard to settle, which is why they have moved so many times in the intervening years.

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 13:52:11

I'd have to find nigh on a £million to buy my old house back again.

Kate54 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:53:28

No but frequently dream about them. And was once tempted to buy a former family holiday cottage when it came back on the market. Would have been totally impractical and couldn’t really afford it. Generally, it’s about the memories rather than the building.

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:31:00

After my dad died my mum sold her house to the woman they bought it off.
I think the couple had moved away and coincidentally were looking to move back when mum put it on the market.
I think all went well. M&D lived in it for about 15years and it was dad’s retirement project. It was certainly in better condition than when they bought it. I hope it was appreciated.

Ellianne Sat 23-Jan-21 15:43:10

I spent a few hours, a while back, searching all my houses on the sold properties pages of rightmove. It felt very strange seeing the rooms all different, but I still felt quite nostalgic. I'm not sure you can ever go back in life, so I wouldn't be keen on re-buying a past house.

Shandy57 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:57:13

My parents divorced in 1977 and sold the family home. It came onto the market in 2007 and I viewed it - they'd changed it so much I found it unsettling. Not a happy house as a burgular tried to break our back door down in the early hours of Sunday morning, when my Dad came through the door he jemmied my Dad on the head, fracturing his skull.

Ellianne Sat 23-Jan-21 16:07:40

Your poor dad Shandy.

Wasn't there a programme on TV not so long ago where they took older celebrities back to their earlier home to look round?

biba70 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:14:23

We often thought about buying our family home, built for my grand-parents, and where my mum grew up, and later me. Parens had to sell to pay off her brother's part- in their 70s- and my mum found it so so hard. We all absolutely loved that house and it was unique. It has been changed and poshified/americanised so much- I would not enjoy it now. Nor could we afford it anyhow.

We absolutely loved out last house in the UK- but it is now a Crêche, and has been changed so much, and the garden I spent 30 years to create has all been turned back to lawn and the mixed hedge gone. Finally though, after 11 years, we are ready to visit it when we next go. We watch their FB site and photos- and it is lovely to see the children so happy. Could not have visited it until now though, and would nto buy it back. Such a happy house, happy days- but gone.