Gransnet forums

House and home

Steam irons

(23 Posts)
Cambia Tue 26-Jan-21 15:28:24

Help my iron has given up after four years. Won’t steam. I am fed up of replacing irons every few years as it seems so wasteful. Limescale is my biggest problem however often I clean them!

Can anyone recommend a good anti lime scale iron that actually stops limescale accumulating. Are the steam iron generators better than ordinary irons. Only two of us so don’t want to waste money if these are no better than the ordinary irons

Thank you

mrsmopp Tue 26-Jan-21 16:41:00

I just use my basic Morphy Richards iron. There is nothing to go wrong with it. It has lasted for years and never gone wrong. I never bothered with a steam iron. If anything needed steaming I would just cover the item with a damper tea towel, and iron over that. No problems. Are you in a hard water area?

Susiewong65 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:49:55

I tend to use water from my water filter in my steam iron as I live in a very hard water area. It’s certainly made a difference to the life of my iron as well as my kettle.

Shandy57 Tue 26-Jan-21 17:31:01

I've used distilled water in my steam iron since I bought it ten years ago, still going strong.

kittylester Tue 26-Jan-21 18:08:40

we are in a very hard water area - I have a steam generator iron which tells me when to clean it.

PollyDolly Tue 26-Jan-21 18:13:43

We bought a Bosch iron three years ago. At the time I purchased an extended guarantee on it which covers 15 years. This covers it for wear and tear and accidental damage. It is by far the BEST iron I've ever had! Would strongly recommend.

LadyGracie Tue 26-Jan-21 19:58:21

We live in Wales so soft water no limescale, my steam irons are always packing up, it could be from lack of use, they just give up the ghost!

crazyH Tue 26-Jan-21 20:01:36

Where’s my iron ?

dogsmother Tue 26-Jan-21 20:02:51

I have a condenser tumble dryer and I always save the water from that to fill my iron.

welbeck Tue 26-Jan-21 20:19:04

why not give up ironing

Auntieflo Tue 26-Jan-21 22:44:49

If your iron is otherwise still in good condition, why not just use a small spray bottle. It's what I do.
When I do any ironing.

Cambia Wed 27-Jan-21 15:30:54

Thank you everyone. Polly dolly which Bosch iron did you get please? I was looking at these before you mentioned them.

B9exchange Wed 27-Jan-21 15:41:48

I have a steam generator iron which beeps at me when it needs descaling. It has a descaling programme that I switch on with it placed on a special stand in the sink, and all the scale comes out. We are in a very hard water area, but have had it a year now with no problems.

Nannarose Wed 27-Jan-21 15:59:09

I've had a Philips steam generator iron for 5 years now. You have to use to water with it and de-scale every so often.
My hobby is sewing, s it gets a lot of use.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 16:02:22

I have a Tefal tank iron which is brilliant - the best I have ever had. It has a ‘chalk catcher’ and I live in a very hard water area. I have had it about ten years with no problem. I too use water from my filter tap but, I love dogsmother’s idea. I often think that water is wasted.

AlAlex Thu 27-May-21 18:52:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sago Thu 27-May-21 19:08:17

I use a steam generator iron but I put a limes ale catcher in the tank they’re 99p and work brilliantly.

Franbern Fri 28-May-21 08:50:49

Is the water from a condesor tumber dryer better than water from the tap? It is water from the tap that was used to wash tose clothes? Not sure of the science behind this.
I am amazed as to how little I use an iron these days. Can temember, back in the past, standing twice a week, with a big pile of ironing to be done. Mind you so much of that was shirts for Mr F..... for work, and shirts etc for kids for school.

So happy that most cloihing iitems I have now do not need any ironing. Do occasionally purchase something without thinking, like a linen skirt, that does need an iron. Have had my present, cheapish, steam iron for about 12 years now,

geekesse Fri 28-May-21 09:03:12

What’s an iron? smile

JackyB Sat 29-May-21 10:27:31

I have an iron in the laundry room in the basement for washing. It is a Philips. It specifically says in the instructions to use tap water only, NOT distilled water or water from the condenser dryer.

Upstairs I have a cheap iron in my sewing room which specifies ONLY to use distilled water.

Go figure.

Scribbles Sat 29-May-21 12:08:47

The water here is moderately hard so I always fill the iron with water from the filter jug. The iron is a cheap & cheerful own-brand one from Sainsbury's, going strong with no sign of limescale for five years now.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 31-May-21 19:31:22

We live in hard water area, I have a steam generator best think ever had for around 8 years never let me down

TrendyNannie6 Mon 31-May-21 19:31:34

Thing