Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone else had a bad experience with locksmiths

(21 Posts)
sunfield91 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:26:18

The lock on my kitchen door is a bit dodgy, intermittently it jams and can take up to 10 mins of fiddling with the key to clear it.
I did some research on line and found that a lot of companies who advertise seem to be part of a franchise and not local to my area, even though their website intimates they are. I am recently widowed and over 70 and quite nervous of workmen coming in as I am alone
I chose one yesterday because it had a phone number within the area ,the chap came within an hour fully masked up and with an ID lanyard and did not know the area
He was about 6’4” and I felt a little bit nervous, he started by saying 2 screws were missing near the hinges on the door which was causing the problem of the lock sticking and then said
2 more in the door frame were also missing
It was clearly a scam he wanted to charge£120 ,to fix the screws,I declined ,he then dropped the price twice to £80 and then £60 .He wasn’t in the house just on the doorstep
I managed to get rid of him ,but it left me a bit shaken
My point of this long post is that perhaps I should have asked were they local, even if it was a local number
I later got a call from an 0333 number asking why I didn’t use him, I put the phone down
What do others think pls, am I being too cautious or panicky

icanhandthemback Fri 26-Mar-21 10:39:20

We had a locksmith out and a week later we had a burglary. In our state of shock we were absolutely convinced the two were related but in fact, it was just a coincidence. We went on a site called NextDoor and asked for recommendations and the company we called out were local. The chap was lovely and we were so disappointed when we thought our burglary was related. Thank goodness it wasn't. Fortunately, a well established, reputable company will bet their staff properly and you will be quite safe.
No, you are not being too cautious. You can try Check a Trade, a local Facebook Group or Nextdoor. Reputable companies will have their offices or shops listed on their websites so you can see how local they are.

sunfield91 Fri 26-Mar-21 10:51:47

Thanks for your reply, I did put it on Facebook but didn’t get any recommendations unfortunately
I forgot to try next door.

Chardy Fri 26-Mar-21 11:54:31

When I was working, I used to have a rule that I would only use workmen who were recommended, and when they arrived I would tell them who recommended them (eg I found a good plumber who put me in touch with a good electrician). They then knew if they messed me about, it would get back to that person who wouldn't recommend them again.
Now retired and in a new area, it's a bit harder, but Checkatrade etc seem to fill that gap.

Nonogran Fri 26-Mar-21 13:04:50

Hello Sunfield91
Your local Trading Standards website can be helpful if looking for trusted trades who've registered with them. Citizens Advice too if you Google your local branch. How about AgeUk as well?
Here is a link which might be useful:
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/find-a-trader-and-check-you-can-trust-them/
I can understand your anxiety but if you do some research I'm sure that whatever you need done in the house, these organisations can help.
I hope this is reassuring and in due course you'll find the assistance to you need.

sunfield91 Fri 26-Mar-21 13:14:28

Thank you

Franbern Fri 26-Mar-21 13:59:29

I am very close to 80 year old, have lived by myself for many years. Have NEVER felt intimadated by any workpeople I have had needed to have in my home (although I may occasionallyj have intimidated them!!).
when I moved to totally new area I had a to start again to build up a dosier of trust companies, I always prefer to use local companies for both big and small jobs.
Ask for recommendations on Next Door, etc. and check their websites for more information as to how long they have been in business, and read customer comments.
Anybody who keep dropping their prices should be told to go away.

Spice101 Sat 27-Mar-21 05:20:01

Had it been me I would have told the caller exactly why you did not use the chap who came.

Riverwalk Sat 27-Mar-21 06:44:06

Are you near any estate agents?

I found a good locksmith that way.

Grannynannywanny Sat 27-Mar-21 07:01:14

sunfield91 I had a similar problem with my door a few months ago. I wondered if the lock might need some lubrication and I sprayed a small amount of WD40 into it. Within seconds the lock was operating freely again and remains problem free.

If you don’t have WD40 it’s usually available in supermarkets or you’ll find it online. It usually comes with a fine plastic straw which can be attached to the nozzle for directing the spray into small spaces such as locks. I used it just a few days ago on the garden shed padlock which had completely seized up. It was sorted in seconds after a spray of it.

Franbern Sat 27-Mar-21 08:04:15

Grannynannywanny will second your recommendation of WD40 for sticking locks. A can of this is part of my home 'First Aid' kit and can be used on squeaky hinges as well as sticky/sticking locks. in the the past, even used to use on car key, which was sticking in the ignition.
My flat front door lock went into jamming mode a few months back. Gave me a bit of a fright. Once, I did manage to get it open, gave it a good spray with WD40 and all is fine now. The lift door here suddenly became very heavy to push open, we spent £150 for an emergency visit by the engineers, and all they did was to spray it at certain points and all was well. I asked if this would have been okay if we had used WD40 and the engineer said, Yes - but he has now shown us exacrly the places this would need spraying for the future.

Grannynannywanny Sat 27-Mar-21 08:18:59

Franbern my Dad gave me a can of WD40 when I first left home and advised me never to be without one in the house. It really is a great product.

henetha Sat 27-Mar-21 09:37:01

If you can, only use locksmiths which are members of the MLA - Master Locksmiths Association. It's an unregulated industry.
Anyone can buy a set of tools and call themselves a locksmith.
This is very unfair on those who have served apprenticeships and studied and passed the exams, which are quite stringent.

FarNorth Sat 27-Mar-21 09:44:35

If WD40 doesn't fix it, it probably needs part, or all, of the lock replaced. I've had that happen with two doors.

Marydoll Sat 27-Mar-21 09:45:21

We had to call out a locksmith last week, as our backdoor wouldn't lock.
However, as we have a policy with Scottish Gas for locks, etc, they organised everything with a reliable company. This policy has been worth it's weight in gold for peace of mind, since we have got older.
The locksmith arrived at 10pm and also sorted and internal lock into the bargain. We were delighted with the workmanship and professionalism of the workman.

Kaimoana Sat 27-Mar-21 10:03:30

Bad experience? Just once in about 1142 when my DH went off to the Crusade and I couldn't find where he'd hidden the key to my chastity belt.
A gorgeous hunky locksmith came to free me and I had high hopes - until he ran off with the bloke who looked after the horses.

Katie59 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:07:00

You only need a locksmith if the door is locked shut and WD40 won’t fix it.
If the door will open just change the lock completely, some modern locks you just change the key barrel, any DIY person or builder will do it, cost £10 - 20.

Marydoll Sat 27-Mar-21 13:43:10

Katie59

You only need a locksmith if the door is locked shut and WD40 won’t fix it.
If the door will open just change the lock completely, some modern locks you just change the key barrel, any DIY person or builder will do it, cost £10 - 20.

You do need a locksmith if its 10pm at night, the shops are closed and your back garden is secluded. ?

Mercer32 Thu 15-Apr-21 06:49:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemsip Thu 15-Apr-21 07:21:37

contact your local authority. They will have a list of trusted traders.

Nonogran Thu 15-Apr-21 09:18:30

Kaimoana! Please post your amusing take on life more often. I laughed out loud!
Meanwhile, I swear by WD40. Can't manage without it in tool box, shed or caravan! Bury me with a can!