Gransnet forums

House and home

My lounge needs a pop of colour - but which one?

(18 Posts)
LizM567 Sat 01-May-21 17:22:57

My lounge is a bit dull. The walls are ivory cream, the carpet is terracotta red. I have a sofa in the same red and cream and 2 brown leather wing chairs. I have bought grass green scatter cushions and green ornaments - moorcroft, glass etc - to perk things up and have some nice paintings but the room still seems dull. I would welcome any suggestions to add some excitement to the room.

AGAA4 Sat 01-May-21 17:27:57

Changing the lighting can help in the evenings and maybe some bolder colours would help.

Amberone Sat 01-May-21 17:41:50

I would have gone with emerald or teal cushions rather than grass green, with maybe a mustard one (although I don't like lots of cushions). I have cream sofas and have a throw on each one - gold and navy in my case, but I would stick with the emerald/teal in yours.

What about some art on the walls?

Dinahmo Sat 01-May-21 17:51:50

A lot of decorators stick to 1 or 2 colours but use several different fabric designs so I would suggest that you've got and make some cushion covers and maybe curtains that colour co-ordinate but aren't too mitchymatchy. For example stripes and bold abstract flower patterns, or geometric, or ethnic. Ian Mankin is good for stripes (not sure if I'm allowed to quote names) and Sandersons for a very wide range.

I subscribe to Homes and Antiques every month and there are usually several ideas on colours and displaying objects or pictures.

Another tip - look for a plate that has terracotta and cream on it and some other colours. That way you'll see what goes well together.

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-May-21 10:06:02

A very bold teal. Think hot earth and deep lakes.
Lush.

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-May-21 10:07:27

www.google.com/search?q=teal+terracotta+color+palette&tbm=isch&client=ms-android-samsung-gj-rev1&prmd=isnv&hl=en-GB&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilu_OA0qrwAhWW4oUKHeFSA0sQrNwCKAJ6BQgBENgB&biw=360&bih=612

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 02-May-21 10:10:10

I went a bit rash with my lounge - it has similar colours, but one wall is a duck egg blue and I like it?

LizM567 Sun 02-May-21 17:45:42

You have all been very kind offering your advice and have given me a lot to think about. I think I will kick off by painting one wall in a statement colour, changing my light bulbs and paintings and see how it all looks. Baby steps.

3dognight Sun 02-May-21 18:05:05

With the red and cream I would use dark brown and pale beiges, small amounts of black or silver or gold to accent.
Your room will look gorgeous - both understated and opulent.
Textures are important too, think chunky knit, leather, stone ,
Just my opinion, and remember if you like it that's all that matters, whatever colour you use !

Whiff Sun 02-May-21 21:34:46

My living room walls are Dulux frosted steel , white ceiling and woodwork. Pale grey carpet, charcoal grey curtains, terracotta suite and antique pine wall units and table and chairs. Looks lovely.

Suki70 Sun 02-May-21 21:49:11

LizM567 thanks for starting this thread and NotSpaghetti thanks for the helpful link. I have a similar colour scheme and tomorrow I’ll be hunting for teal cushions.

LizM567 Wed 05-May-21 16:59:22

What a wonderful community - I am so grateful for your help. As well as the changes I outlined above, I have decided to re-arrange the furniture which should also give a new perspective.

shysal Wed 05-May-21 17:27:13

NotSpaghetti thanks for the link. The colour accents in my living room are from the same palette, more by luck than judgement!

LizM567, I have used some Indian cushions made from embroidered sari fabric patchwork. They are very reasonable on Ebay and cheap enough to replace as often as I feel like a change. They are much admired.

NotSpaghetti Wed 05-May-21 17:48:19

I love teal with rust. It’s also rather smart with aubergine.
Delighted you found something to perk your space up. Sometimes it only needs one “pop”.

LizM567 Thu 06-May-21 13:11:56

Wow - I love that cushion! Coincidentally our snug has an Indian theme and that would look wonderful in there. Can you possibly tell me where on Ebay I can find this.

varian Thu 06-May-21 13:39:50

If you paint over the ivory walls with white paint you'll be amazed at how much lighter and brighter the room will look.

shysal Thu 06-May-21 17:16:01

LizM567, the exact cushions are no longer on Ebay but a search under 'sari cushions' gives a range of similar ones.
I have also added an Indian-ish theme, by adding a crystal fringe to the standard lampshade, filigree fairy lights around the dresser and an embroidered picture also from Ebay.
At first I wondered whether it was all a bit naff, but as I live alone, I didn't care what anyone else thought. It all started with a set of Kasbah lights that I was given by my neighbour for the hall bannisters.
Have fun with choosing your extra touches!

LizM567 Tue 11-May-21 18:45:00

What lovely ideas you have - your home sounds beautiful.