Gransnet forums

House and home

town house ie 3 stories

(8 Posts)
busybee6969 Sat 08-May-21 18:13:07

buying a town house 3 stories , living room will be on second floor.stairs looked quite wide, but wondered any tips for what will fit ie arm chairs/sofa/know double beds bases come in 2 pieces..

Niobe Sat 08-May-21 18:22:20

Your removal company should be able to advise you as would any delivery company if you are buying new. When my son bought a 4 seater sofa he gave the shop measurements of doorways etc and they said it would be fine.

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-May-21 18:23:07

We have 3 storeys too.
When we arrived the sitting room was on the 1st floor which was easy as the stairs are wide up to the landing.
The 2nd floor has narrower stairs than the 1st so I couldn't get the sofa up there I think.
We did get a double bed up though- as this came apart.

What us up there at the moment?

blossom14 Sat 08-May-21 19:01:34

We have a loft conversion with a dogleg turn at the bottom. I was really careful at measuring what would go through. When push came to shove (literally) 1/2inch couldn't be overcome.
DH managed to split base of bed as it had drawers either side and put together once on site and mattress went up easily.
I don't think the bed will come down in our lifetime as we are both a bit frail now!

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-May-21 19:33:04

It's the cornering that's tricky with larger items.
It's not just the going upstairs. Beware of corners!

We "built" the 2nd double bed up there as it's not the sort that comes apart.
We will have to dismantle the base entirely to get it out.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 19:40:48

Our first house was three stories with a first floor living area. The biggest problem was that, at first floor level, the door into the living room was at right angle to the door.

As far as I can remember, as it was a first house, a lot of the furniture was new and flat pack, mainly from Habitat. We had two settees, which came that way and the bed base came in two parts with metal joining plates.

Modern furniture is designed to go into modern houses, so designed to size.

MissChateline Sat 08-May-21 19:50:41

My current home is on 4 storeys, kitchen in the basement, sitting room on the street level and two bedroom floors. . It is sort of 2 story’s at the front and 4 at the back. Anything large has to be hauled up a ladder and through the bedroom window before going up to the top floor. The worst problem is buying flat pack furniture and making it up upstairs but never being able to getting it back down again. This makes for much fun!

Katyj Sat 08-May-21 22:07:32

Our previous house was 3 storey we bought a two and three seater sofa the two seater went up no problem but not the other we had to ask the builders to take the Juliet balcony off and machine lift it up to put it through the balcony.Everything else was fine ?