Gransnet forums

House and home

Matches

(15 Posts)
ExD Tue 11-May-21 11:43:34

Where can I find ordinary matches? The ones (like Bryant and May) that strike on a strip of sandpaper - not the wretched 'safety' type that use a special striking paper which wears out before the box is empty.
I live on a farm with an open fire, and its irritating to find 20+ matches left in the box but no way of using them because I've nothing to strike them on (and no way to light the fire, unless I learn to rub two sticks together).
Perhaps I should ask for a tinder-box for Christmas.
Even amazon let me down.

Ilovecheese Tue 11-May-21 11:45:07

I think Swan still have proper matches, but they are a bit short for lighting fires I suppose.

Shandy57 Tue 11-May-21 12:44:40

I always used Swan matches, could strike on the wall if you had to. I bought them in the local paper shop but finally gave in and bought a long Bic gas lighter. After twenty years of lighting my fire from the bottom, I saw a YouTube video where someone lit it from the top - it took much faster.

travelnan Tue 11-May-21 16:24:22

Our local Tesco sell them both Swan and Bryant & May.

welbeck Tue 11-May-21 16:29:29

i have a cigarette lighter in the form of a luger pistol with silencer attached.
i'm sure you can get other styles of things that produce a spark.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 11-May-21 16:29:33

Supermarkets sell long matches.

B9exchange Tue 11-May-21 16:30:51

Definitely go for a long gas lighter, they are refillable and so much more convenient!

BBbevan Tue 11-May-21 17:01:13

We have a wood burner and always buy the long ‘Cook’s Matches’ from Sainsbury’s .

ExD Tue 11-May-21 17:16:00

I've just found out, the UK haven't manufactured 'strike anywhere' matches since 2018 (EU ruling). All Swan matches are 'safety' matches now.
Also the long 'cook's' type.

Ilovecheese Tue 11-May-21 17:24:18

Well that shows how long I must have had my box of swan!

Shandy57 Tue 11-May-21 19:36:04

ha ha same here Ilovecheese, still have some left too!

Jaxjacky Tue 11-May-21 19:43:12

Use a gas lighter, long one like ovens used to have, we use them to light the bbq.

SueDonim Tue 11-May-21 20:41:58

Don’t buy Aldi matches. I thought I’d save a few pennies but they can break off at the end and bits of flame go shooting through the air to land who knows where? ? ?

It was back to brand names for me.

ExD Wed 12-May-21 09:16:50

It seems (from Google) that original matches that strike anywhere - side of the chimney, stone, concrete, sandpaper - contain phosphorus (?) in the red tip. Modern matches (safety) have it in the strike paper on the side of the box.
The old strike anywhere type could, and did, self ignite in transport by the friction of the tips ribbing together just through movement.
You live and learn.
I'm going to have to learn how to light newspaper and sticks with a cigarette lighter.

Chardy Wed 12-May-21 10:24:05

DFiL once had non-safety matches explode in his pocket when gardening.