Gransnet forums

House and home

Household Electricity

(21 Posts)
ExDancer Mon 02-Aug-21 11:42:27

We have been receiving ginormous electricity bills this past 12 months.
The one for 24June to 23July has just arrived and it was for £157.
Bearing in mind there are just we two 80 year olds who were actively trying to be frugal, this seems a lot when we hadn't used any heating, the oven is on once a week to cook Sunday dinner (I use combi MW) and we have been eating mostly salad-y meals anyway. Obviously no central heating used - and that's oil anyway.
We have the usual things - washing machine, dishwasher, 2 TVs, fridge and (quite large) freezer and the immersion heater is on for 15 mins in the morning. We have an electric shower but neither of us take long showers..
What would you consider a 'normal' range to be?

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 11:46:58

are they estimated bills or are they actual readings?

What is heating your water?

Blossoming Mon 02-Aug-21 11:52:59

Maybe you should get your meter tested. We once received gas bills for 4 times the expected amount, and it turned out the meter was faulty and we were being overcharged. That sounds too high to me, ours is around £60 per month with higher usage than you.

CleoPanda Mon 02-Aug-21 11:56:24

It does seem on the high side. We’ve just paid £113 for a quarter! (April to July). We’re with Eon.
We use the oven 3/4 times per week but don’t have an immersion heater. Has the bill been read or estimated?

Chewbacca Mon 02-Aug-21 11:59:38

Wow ExDancer that does seem excessively high for just one month's usage. My combined gas and electricity bill, for the same period, was £40.63 and that was an actual reading. Definitely get it checked.

Kamiso Mon 02-Aug-21 12:01:45

Also check that no one has fixed things so you are paying their bill as well. Happened to someone I used to know.

Have you had fans running? They apparently use a similar amount of electricity as heaters.

Has a special scheme come to an end?

Are you using the same amount in units as shown on previous bills?

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Aug-21 12:01:59

I’d get the meter checked as suggested, maybe get a smart meter too where you can see what’s using the most electricity.

Septimia Mon 02-Aug-21 12:31:45

Years ago we were told that it was cheaper to have the immersion heater on all the time. It runs on a thermostat, so stops heating when the set temperature is reached. If you turn it off it has to heat again from cold which uses more electricity.

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:18:06

I don't think the problem is the unit price, it is more likely an issue with your meter as this does seem excessive. You can ask for it to be checked. By your description of your usage, i would expect to pay around £60-80 ish per month.

tanith Mon 02-Aug-21 13:30:56

I’m now with Octopus and my electricity is £30 a month in a 2 bed and it’s only me your bill is way high as others suggest get your meter checked something is wrong somewhere.

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 14:18:36

Blossoming

Maybe you should get your meter tested. We once received gas bills for 4 times the expected amount, and it turned out the meter was faulty and we were being overcharged. That sounds too high to me, ours is around £60 per month with higher usage than you.

The same happened to us with the gas meter, Blossoming. When the meter was rem8ved, the engineer showed it to us and it was still whizzing round even though it was disconnected!

ExDancer do check his out, it could be any number of reasons, either an over-estimated bill, a faulty meter or someone else connected to your supply- are there any new properties near you?

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 14:19:02

Excuse typos

midgey Mon 02-Aug-21 17:21:52

Another thought is your fridge or freezer elderly? They can really eat electricity.

ExDancer Mon 02-Aug-21 17:48:03

Yes, I'll see about getting the meter checked - how do I go about doing this? Do I contact my supplier? I do feel it may be the chest freezer which is quite old.

Katie59 Mon 02-Aug-21 18:13:27

There is a big increase in electricity prices this year, our has gone up from 13p to 18p per kWh. Very high gas prices plus much higher demand this year

Shinamae Mon 02-Aug-21 18:15:42

I’m with octopus energy and they seem pretty fair with their prices… I did leave them and went to another company for about a year but have just come back to octopus again..

ExDancer Mon 02-Aug-21 18:22:15

I read the meter this morning at 10.30 and I'll read it again tomorrow at the same time.
I've also googled how to get a meter check and see if it's not faulty I'll be charged for the service, but no indication as to the cost which is a bit worrying.
It's a pity there isn't a little wheel like there used to be so you could watch it going round.

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 22:48:52

Our gas bills were so high that the supplier contacted us.
We did get a refund but I still think it wasn't enough.

Teacheranne Mon 02-Aug-21 23:07:42

When I get my bill, there is quite a lot of information about my usage, eg how much I used during the same period last year, which I find very helpful. If you have used a similar amount of watts then it is unlikely to be a fault with the meter - unless you were also paying a lot last year. It could be an increase in overall unit price ( again, compare with last year) or maybe you have come to end of a fixed tariff and been put on a higher one.

Lots of things to look at before assuming that it is a faulty meter, which is quite rare ( I used to work for British Gas and deal with high level complaints).. Hopefully you will have some old bills to compare with or if you have an online account, you can search back for several years.

If you have consumed a lot more energy than in the same period last year then it could be a faulty meter or a faulty appliance.

I must have an old meter as I can still see the dial going very fast when I use electricity!

MamaCaz Tue 03-Aug-21 07:28:52

Exactly what Teacheranne said!

Also, when did you last change supplier or energy contract - you haven't just let it ride and stayed with the same one over many years, have you, ending up on the most expensive tariff possible? (I doubt, it, but thought it was still worth asking.)

MamaCaz Tue 03-Aug-21 07:36:53

Just as a price comparison, we are now having to pay nearly £90 a month for the electricity used by two of us in a small, two-bedroom house. There's been a big rise in prices this year, and that's about the best I could get in our area.

We don't have an electric shower, but do have an air-source heat pump system that keeps our heating / hot water costs down.
We also have both a fridge-freezer and a chest freezer, and I use the oven several times a week normally.

We use approx 6000 kw/h a year.