Gransnet forums

House and home

Best way to store paint

(9 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 25-Oct-21 01:07:41

I’ve just had my house decorated, yes every room, took three weeks,

The decorator has left me with the remaining paint, about half of a five litre pot. I think that if I just leave it in this container, the paint will harden and get a tough skin so probably won’t be any use if I want to touch up an area in a few years.

I am thinking of transferring it into two smaller containers which I can fill to the top before sealing.

But I cannot think of what containers to use! I’m happy to buy some but don’t know where to look. Or will I just be wasting my money, is it pointless trying to store paint once a tin has been opened?

I do not have any old paint tins I could use as mine were all old and dried up so they got thrown out.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 05:55:43

I've read that storing the tin upside down works.
It means the skin forms on the bottom, leaving the fresh stuff at the top.
If you see what I mean? hmm

Grandmafrench Mon 25-Oct-21 06:17:01

Decant into plastic containers like water bottles for water-based paint, glass containers with screw-tops for oil-based. Nothing to rust, no skin forming or difficulties with re-sealing. Plastic container should be good for 2 or 3 years if paints are kept in an even temperature, avoiding extreme heat or cold.

FlexibleFriend Mon 25-Oct-21 13:20:26

I store opened cans of paint in the shed. I make sure the lid is very firmly attached, give it a good shake and then store. I've opened them after several years to touch up and have never had a problem with any of them.

Kim19 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:27:48

I use the upside down method too. Taught by my decorator.

wildswan16 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:30:16

Upside down (after a very good thump to the lid). Then any skin ends up at the bottom.

AGAA4 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:38:36

Thanks for the upside down tip. I will use that in future. Too late for an almost full tin I've had for ages.

Teacheranne Tue 26-Oct-21 00:09:30

I think I’ll go for storing it upside down as I don’t have any suitable containers. I can always decant some if I manage to find some.

Elizabeth27 Tue 26-Oct-21 00:13:41

Ive put mine in empty coffee jars, handy for touch ups and easier to open.