Gransnet forums

House and home

Portable Gas Heaters

(9 Posts)
sabru Sat 21-May-22 10:43:57

Are they a good idea to save on rising energy bills in the winter months? Does anyone have experience of using them. Thank you.

AGAA4 Sat 21-May-22 10:49:11

I had one that used propane gas. The gas is expensive and I found it ran out fairly quickly. It did heat the room well though.

kittylester Sat 21-May-22 13:42:38

We have 2 calor gas heaters which we had soon after we moved here. They are brilliant for fast heat - which we were grateful for when our boiler broke - and worked well in our open plan ish house. When we got them the gas was about £12 a cylinder but our last one was over £30. The cylinders are heavy and not very easy to carry as you get older.

Shandy57 Sun 22-May-22 09:51:47

We had calor gas heaters and the condensation they cause was a big problem, as well as the weight of the cylinder.

FarNorth Sun 22-May-22 10:01:31

Also they can make the room quite stuffy.

Witzend Sun 22-May-22 10:03:08

We recently visited a friend in Majorca where they’d had the coldest spring on record. Friend wanted to buy a couple of these - her very old village house had been seriously freezing.

So we went with her to a huge DIY/household store, to find some, only to be told, ‘We only have those when it’s cold.’
The weather had only just started to warm up a bit!

Many years ago these were our sole source of heat in Cyprus in winter, when we had marble floors and gaps under doors, etc.
Don’t know what on earth we’d have done without them. More than once I used my hairdryer to warm up the bed!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 10:05:43

We have two calor gas heaters for emergency use when there’s a power cut - all electric, overhead lines, rural area. They heat a room quickly but certainly wouldn’t be a good idea for everyday use with the cost and weight of the cylinders, which wouldn’t last too long.

sabru Mon 23-May-22 08:06:57

Thanks for all the info.

karmalady Sat 28-May-22 19:01:45

these heaters need to be vented and will produce a lot of water vapour. Not a good idea