Gransnet forums

House and home

Saggy sofa

(15 Posts)
NittWitt Sun 03-Jul-22 16:07:10

Has anyone tried one of those things that claim to rejuvenate a saggy sofa seat?
And do they work?

Lovetopaint037 Sun 03-Jul-22 17:28:18

We bought something like a board that fitted beneath the seat cushion of an arm chair. Wasn’t too bad but eventually we bought new chairs. Depends how much you love the chair. Sometimes we have something for so long that we no longer have an objective view of it until it is replaced, So it depends on your finances and how long it has been used as to whether it is worth it.

NittWitt Mon 04-Jul-22 08:58:35

Thanks for your answer.
Maybe I should think about whether to replace the sofa. I'm the type of person who usually keeps things until they fall to bits but it's not always the best idea. smile

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 04-Jul-22 09:03:55

I’m like you nitwitt I have a lovely sofa but if I sit on it for more than an hour it really hurts my back, it’s now relegated to another room where I can sit and read a book on it, I should really get rid of it, but it’s so comfy, but only for an hour at a time.
However, it’s very comfy (and big enough) to sleep on, so for now it’s safe.
We should really get new ones shouldnt we?

crazyH Mon 04-Jul-22 09:06:26

I had mine reupholstered professionally - they put in new foam etc and bring it up like new. They also stained and polished the leather. Think it cost about £250

crazyH Mon 04-Jul-22 09:07:26

Btw, not just one chair - the whole three piece.

Jane43 Mon 04-Jul-22 09:09:54

A piece of hardboard works.

Yammy Mon 04-Jul-22 09:18:30

crazyH

I had mine reupholstered professionally - they put in new foam etc and bring it up like new. They also stained and polished the leather. Think it cost about £250

I had new loose covers for mine by Plumbs they also replaced the foam in the cushions, it cost over £1000 ten years ago, maybe the choice of material? We were pleased with it for about 6years then the seats started to sag again we have limped on with the concertina boards you can buy online. We are now considering getting a new sofa. So an expensive refurbishment that has just lasted ten years.

Elless Mon 04-Jul-22 09:28:22

We had a memory foam mattress to dispose of a few years ago so we turned the sofa upside down, undid the bottom cover, cut the mattress up and stuffed it into the sofa - made it nice an firm again ?

Auntieflo Mon 04-Jul-22 11:28:36

We had some chipboard cut to size and it worked a treat under the cushions. I did cover the chipboard with old sheeting.

karmalady Mon 04-Jul-22 19:26:36

I have a lovely large leather sofa but the seat cushions were becoming saggy. I ordered seat cushions online, they are very much better than the originals. I made piped covers but they can be made by the cushion manufacturers

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 06:39:45

Ask your local shops for cardboard boxes and cut to size to place under the cushions. Layer them until you find your comfiness!

BlueBalou Tue 05-Jul-22 06:49:59

I tried one of those boards but it didn’t work particularly well. It was an M&S sofa, after 6 years of only DH sitting on it (and he’s skinny), it was so saggy. I Freecycled it and have a preloved, refurbished Ercol 2 seater coming Saturday. I prefer more traditional, well made furniture nowadays.

NittWitt Fri 08-Jul-22 20:53:12

Thanks for all the answers.
That sounds like a bargain CrazyH.
I already bought new cushions a few years ago but it's kept on sagging as it's the base that's giving way.
Hmm, I'll maybe have to try a board as a last attempt as I don't think cardboard would be strong enough.

crazyH Fri 08-Jul-22 21:12:08

Nittwitt - yes, it was a bargain. Bear in mind though, that they just added more filling, and stained and polished the existing leather. By using the word ‘reupholstered’, I might have given the wrong impression. Sorry. And it was a new family business. So I was lucky. It was a good few years ago and is still as good as new.