Gransnet forums

House and home

Is there a really quiet room fan?

(19 Posts)
shysal Fri 12-Aug-22 17:39:14

I have a Dyson for the bedroom, but it is far from silent. Can anyone recommend one for the living room which will enable me to hear the TV without turning up the volume and disturbing the neighbours? I would prefer a tower style to save floor space.

Auntieflo Fri 12-Aug-22 17:52:48

We have been pleased with our NETTA tower fan. Actually prefer it to our Dyson.

LadyStardust Fri 12-Aug-22 18:00:26

Meaco do some whisper quiet fans. I can sleep with this on low, no problem and doubt it would affect hearing the TV. The higher settings are a bit louder but I rarely use them. They aren't cheap, but mines 3 years old now and still works fine.

LadyStardust Fri 12-Aug-22 18:03:48

Sorry, just read you would prefer a tower fan! I think Meaco do those too but can't vouch for them personally.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Aug-22 18:14:00

www.quietmark.com/
They have a couple here.
Will have a look at mine later.

HurdyGurdy Fri 12-Aug-22 18:24:46

I know you would prefer a tower, but if you do consider a pedestal fan, then I can recommend the Lenwoy Smart Cooling Silent Floor fan. I took delivery of it from Amazon on Tuesday and it is as near silent as I think it is possible to get. It has a load of settings - I think up to 15 - and has a remote control. I has 7 blades, which make it more efficient, and it has an 8 hour timer.

I haven't had it on above level 6, and I only really started to hear slight noise at level 5.

It was quite expensive, at £80, but having used it I don't feel quite as ripped off as when I ordered it smile

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Aug-22 10:54:27

Hi,
Mine is an Igenix DF0035T
It is quite basic and not entirely silent but we use it on the "natural" setting and then put ot on oscillating which because it is irregular in the way it blows, sounds like a gentle breeze through trees.
My husband says it sends him to sleep.

I would look for a tower with a "natural" mode and try that.
I love these irregular fans and have two others that do the same now but this one is the only tower.

Daisymae Sat 13-Aug-22 12:43:36

A cheap floor standing. We have a couple but the cheapest is the best as it's so quiet you can have it on and still get some sleep. The more expensive one is fiercer but so noisy and not comfortable to sit near.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Aug-22 14:24:48

Oh dear, think I should have a little sit down. I just read the thread title and thought someone was asking about whether or not it is worth designating one room as quiet, like a quiet carriage on a train. Dear oh dear. confused

Sorry, no ideas to contribute about a fan for such a room, or any other. grin

shysal Mon 15-Aug-22 07:30:05

Thank you all for your recommendations. I am still trying to choose!

kittylester Mon 15-Aug-22 08:18:29

Wheniwasyourage

Oh dear, think I should have a little sit down. I just read the thread title and thought someone was asking about whether or not it is worth designating one room as quiet, like a quiet carriage on a train. Dear oh dear. confused

I was going to say that I am a fan of a quiet room.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 15-Aug-22 15:22:47

kittylester grin

Fleurpepper Mon 15-Aug-22 15:58:06

A work colleague of mine used to flap the door as I approached and always said 'I have always been a fan of yours'

Lizzie44 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:26:11

Meaco (as in pic above) is great. Have had ours for two years. Very quiet and very versatile. Light and easy to carry from room to room (strap handle on top). Haven't needed it on high settings even in record high temperatures. Very quiet - no problem hearing TV etc and it doesn't disturb us at all at night when we have it on top of chest of drawers on low setting and suitably adjusted in terms of tilt and rotation.

Doodledog Mon 15-Aug-22 16:58:29

I have the Meaco one on at the moment (in our lodge) and it is lovely.

I also have a small tower one by [https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08778FKQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 Woozoo (bought at Amazon)] at home, and I love it. It has 10 settings and you can hear it on 7-10, but below that it is virtually silent, It moves in all directions and has a night setting which comes on and off to save power.

It isn't very tall, so is half way between a desk fan and a tower. I stand it on a low table if I want to share the cool air - it's perfect height for training on one person sitting down though. It is on special offer just now, too.

Doodledog Mon 15-Aug-22 16:59:23

Oops! The formatting didn't like two brackets grin. You can still see it by clicking the blue text.

Aldom Mon 15-Aug-22 17:04:11

shysal

Thank you all for your recommendations. I am still trying to choose!

My daughter has a Meaco fan (not a tower) very powerful but quiet. Cost about £100.
I have a Pro Breeze. Also powerful and quiet. Slightly smaller than the Meaco. Cost about £80. Not a tower though.

Fleurpepper Mon 15-Aug-22 17:04:31

kittylester

Wheniwasyourage

I was going to say that I am a fan of a quiet room.

LOL just re-read the OP, and this made me giggle. I am very lucky, I am a fan of a quiet room, and I've got one. We call it 'the library' and NO TV.

Caleo Mon 15-Aug-22 19:03:41

I am a fan of quiet rooms.