Gransnet forums

News & politics

Express journalist equates breastfeeding to...?

(33 Posts)
JessM Mon 17-Mar-14 12:01:29

This is a nasty piece of journalism. Written by a woman. Equates breastfeeding to "men's bodily functions" shock
www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/virginia-blackburn/464532/Breast-may-be-best-but-please-not-in-public

rosequartz Mon 17-Mar-14 12:07:23

Why would one feel nauseated (quote from the journalist)? I suppose if the baby was screaming its head off because it was hungry that would be frowned upon as well.

Perhaps women shouldn't go out anywhere for the first year or so of a baby's life. Personally, I (and DD and DIL) would use a muslin nappy as I wouldn't have wanted anyone staring, more for my comfort than theirs, but that's just personal preference.

penguinpaperback Mon 17-Mar-14 12:20:38

Yes I read about this on mumsnet. I wouldn't have even noticed Mum was feeding. It's not at all obvious and who cares if it is? Perfectly natural, normal. I remember using shop's toilets, changing rooms to breast feed and it's sad this is still the case if you don't want any comments or confrontations.
Whoever took the picture of her, a complete invasion of her privacy, she is obviously unaware. To then call her a tramp and posting the pic for all to see, unkind bully and completely uncalled for.

Tegan Mon 17-Mar-14 12:31:21

I do think that women who breast feed in public are doing other women a disservice if they don't make an effort to cover up as much as possible. I know my son, when he was in his teens used to look uncomfortable if someone started to breastfeed in front of him and even I felt uncomforatble with a friend of mine who used to just bare all when her baby needed feeding [ I always used a nursing bra, and a t shirt which I lifted up and wore a cardigan or shirt which then wrapped round the baby]. I often fed them and people didn't even know that I was doing so. Having said that as long as you use shirts, shawls, cardigans etc how dare anyone say it's disgusting in any way being one of the most natural things on the planet.

rosequartz Mon 17-Mar-14 12:31:58

I was being facetious when I said women shouldn't go out for the first year or so of a baby's life by the way!

Granny23 Mon 17-Mar-14 12:33:40

I thought this was one battle that had been won at last. Then up pops this "person" (I would not grant her the status of "woman") with this old drivel. Thankfully, if you read the comments, both men and women tell her how wrong she is and point the finger instead at the creature who took the intrusive photo and posted it on the web, the Express who published the picture again and the person who certainly does not merit the title "journalist" either. angry

Aka Mon 17-Mar-14 13:29:52

Pathetic piece of attention-seeking journalistic garbage.

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Mar-14 13:34:29

It is perfectly possible to breast feed completely discretely, just wear the right clothing. Loose fitting tops which can cover most bare flesh.

I think a degree of discretion might be polite to others, basically don't let the boobs hang out on view completely, but that photo was not at all revealing even if it was obvious what the baby was doing.

Gally Mon 17-Mar-14 13:43:33

How on earth can she compare breast feeding with men urinating in the street? Completely barking.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Mar-14 13:47:05

Yes. She is definitely a stupid woman.

But, do you know, I'm not very keen on seeing a woman breast-feeding in a cafe, when I'm having my lunch. (shoot me now)

(I did breast-feed mine)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Mar-14 13:48:37

When I saw that photo, I thought it was quite odd. But sweet in a way, Both of them having their lunch. grin

rosequartz Mon 17-Mar-14 13:56:09

I remember when I was very young, watching a neighbour breastfeeding her baby. I had never seen anyone do that before and she explained how if, for instance, she ate blackberry and apple pie the goodness would go into the milk for the baby.
I used to have a vision of blackberry coloured milk if the mum ate blackberries.

Joelsnan Mon 17-Mar-14 15:20:28

These are the attitudes we get because society has allowed the sexualisation of the breasts instead of regarding them as what they are intended for...baby feeders. sad

JessM Mon 17-Mar-14 15:46:26

I go all aaahhhhhhhh if I see a mum breastfeeding.
But TBH unless you are watching like a hawk the baby's head covers up the mothers nipple.

DebnCreme Mon 17-Mar-14 15:54:12

What a stupid bit of old fashioned journalism. The other day I saw a young mother pop a bib/cape thingy over her head. She fed baby and I thought it was just part of her outfit until the truth dawned. Felt a bit silly for watching but it was an attractive top!

nonnasusie Mon 17-Mar-14 15:55:02

I saw this on facebook too. My DD who has a 3 month old and is breast feeding saw it on Mumsnet and "shared" the photo. I hope the protest went as planned. When I was in England in January we went out together and had lunch in the café in Boundary Mill. We looked for a table in a corner in case DGD needed feeding and DD could be discreet about it! As it happened she slept the whole time but things could have been different. This person who took the photo wouldn't eat in the toilet why should a baby!!!

feetlebaum Mon 17-Mar-14 17:03:46

@Joelsnan - That's exactly right - for some reason there has been a concerted effort to consider the breast, with its nipple as in some way indecent. Well, you couldn't be arrested for indecent exposure if you went topless - only for causing a crowd to collect!

numberplease Mon 17-Mar-14 17:17:28

I can remember, back in 1965, coming home from hospital with baby number 2, and my in-laws were there to greet us. Baby needed feeding, and being a bit shy, I made to leave the room with her. "Where are you going?" asked MIL. "To feed the baby", I replied. She said, "Sit down and feed her, he`s seen titties before, haven`t you Pops?" So I sat down and fed her!! After that it never bothered me feeding in front of people, but only in our home, or those of others, never out in public, but only because of my own shyness, not because I thought it was wrong.

grannyactivist Mon 17-Mar-14 17:23:53

I cannot honestly believe that this 'reporter' had anything in mind but the furore it would cause when she decided to write this piece. Call me cynical, but I'm sure she guessed it would stir up this kind of response and that's why she wrote the article in the first place. It's tosh.

BAnanas Mon 17-Mar-14 17:26:47

I never have a problem with mothers' breastfeeding in public, I often see it done in coffee shops and I think most mothers manage to do it very surreptitiously, anyway who cares, don't look if it upsets you. In my opinion it's much more offensive to see young women stumbling around drunk in the street with everything hanging out!

ninathenana Mon 17-Mar-14 17:59:22

DGS #1 wouldn't latch so DD fed him on expressed milk. She was quiet happy to sit and express in front of her dad. Telling him " If it bothers you, go for a walk" grin

I have seen photos of the many mums who joined her to repeat the scene
There was a very good turnout. There were gatherings in other cities too.

Iam64 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:46:51

What a load of twaddle that article is, the author was definitely looking for her moment of fame, as other comments have made clear.
Most women breast feed discreetly and if they don't, so what. I fed my children in cafe's, church, friends houses, the car etc. I was lucky, and only ever had smilies from people nearby. Good luck to this protest and let's hope the publicity backfires on the journalist.

TwiceAsNice Mon 17-Mar-14 19:11:22

I breast fed my three children whenever they needed to be fed wherever we were. It is possible to be completely discrete if you wear a T shirt or wrap a pashmina round your shoulders .none of my friends husbands seemed bothered because I wasn't, and my fatherinlaw thought it was marvellous. It,s the perfect food for babies none of my children ever had a tummy upset when they were babies but the bottle feeding babies did sometimes. We should encourage Breast feeding not make a scene about it. Shame on the journalist I say!

whenim64 Mon 17-Mar-14 19:27:53

Eating is a natural function, too - perhaps this daft journalist thinks that should be done in private, as well? What's a better place to sit and eat, and feed your baby, than out in the sunshine when hunger strikes? I wouldn't have got out very much when mine were tiny, if I couldn't breast feed them whilst out of the house. It's easy to be discreet. I see plenty of young mums breast feeding their babies in parks and cafés, causing no offence to anyone.

rosequartz Mon 17-Mar-14 19:44:02

I have never heard of this Virginia Blackburn, and it looks as if she is on her own with her nasty opinions, apart from the vile person who posted it on Facebook. Name and shame?

There is nothing visible except a baby's head! Is it more acceptable to see celebrities falling out of their dresses on the red carpet?
Perhaps some men find it titillating (excuse the pun) because they were bottle fed as babies?