Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

HSBC fined for fleecing old people

(2 Posts)
bigknitter Mon 05-Dec-11 16:52:26

Isn't this disgusting? bit.ly/vXtiZ2

First you have to worry about being abused by carers, then about being abused by HSBC.

Mishap Mon 05-Dec-11 19:52:39

It does not surprise me one bit.

I may have posted this before, but when my Mum died, my Dad (then 85) was left a small amount of money, and his local Lloyds TSB sold him a "product" that attracts an annual fee, is high risk, is difficult to draw money out of without a penalty and gives no profit for 2 years. Totally inappropriate - it would have been better in an online BS account so he could draw it out when he felt like it and enjoy himself. We felt it was a disgrace, but did nothing about it as we did not want to cause him any further distress at an already difficult time.

I have just had a call (in the evening) from LTSB (where we have a current account (they hooked us in at uni as there was a branch on campus) and find it so irritating - a young girl with one of those silly put-on sales person accents informed me that she was my account manager (heavens - she didn't sound old enough to be out on her own!) and that she thought we should have an "advantage" account rather than a current account. I told her we were quite happy as we are. She is no doubt on commission if she gets us to change. In my experience these accounts bring no advantages at all! - except the fees to the bank. But LTSB is in difficulties at the moment, so they are probably all on red alert and pushing sales like crazy.

Grumpy Old Lady signing off!!