Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

National Insurance now I am not working?

(18 Posts)
Lysander Fri 20-Apr-12 08:51:02

Hi all, My first post, so if it is in the wrong place, my apologies.

I have just turned 60 and have, as planned, given up full time employment.

I am not planning on working in the future but I can't help wondering about National Insurance payments up to my official retirement age, 65 (at the moment).

Will I need to pay a stamp? I have over 40 years continuous payments now.

If not required, is there any benefit in doing so voluntarily?

I can't find any info on the net , though I am sure there must be some .

Regards Dave

dorsetpennt Fri 20-Apr-12 09:18:02

When I retired at 60 my N.I, contributions were considered as full. As your official retirement date is 65 you may well have to continue paying. Are you going to work part-time? The best people to ask is your local Pensions Agency, number should be in your phone book or on line.They may not put the details on line so obviously each case is considered on an individual basis.

glammanana Fri 20-Apr-12 09:58:15

Lysander One of the benefit advisors at Age UK will bring you up to speed with the requirements they are so good at what they do and don't let the term Age UK put you off as so many people are retiring at a much earlier age. I was under the impression that if you had paid the required amount and did not continue payments when that amount had been paid you would still qualify for your full state pension when you came of age,but please check

Greatnan Fri 20-Apr-12 15:11:15

Have you tried looking at www.direct.gov.uk or googling 'How many years do I need to qualify for a state pension'?
You can ask on line for a pension forecast. It depends on when you reach state retirement age but I think the qualifying period for a full pension is now only 30 years.
You don't have to be working to contribute, but it might not be worth it if it will not make much difference to your eventual pension.

FlicketyB Fri 20-Apr-12 16:21:38

Contact the Deptment of Works and Pensions, or whatever they are called now and ask for a Pension Forecast. They will send you a form showing what your pension will be when you retire based on your current payments.

I was made redundant into early retirement when I was in my mid-50s and the retirement age was 60. I paid voluntary contributions of about £6.00 a week (probably £10.00 now). I also went back to work for six months just before I retired. It added £2.00 to my pension. I was amazed that such a short period back at work could boost my pension so much

nanamacatj Fri 20-Apr-12 18:35:59

Hi Lysander. I've just requested a N I contributions forecast an line, following advice from a very helpful lady at Job Centre plus. The form is available to fill out on line and you can request info for the whole of your working life. I did mine about a week ago and had an acknowledgement the next day via e mail. As I am needing a full forecast they have informed me that it may take up to 8 weeks. I'm racking my brains to think of the web site but it's lost - it will probably pop into my head in the middle of the night confused

Lysander Fri 20-Apr-12 22:06:29

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/online-statement.htm

For the benefit of anyone else wanting NI contribution info, this is the link.

Many thanks to everyone who has included help in their posts.

It's a bit of a minefield but I need to be doing the best for myself and my wife so I need to get to the bottom of this.

Many Thanks Dave

elisagrace Tue 05-Apr-16 13:51:18

Hi Lysander,
I am agreed with dorsetpennt that if your retirement age is 65 you have to continuously pay up to that age. Because you can avail benefit only after retirement and not before. To know more you can visit here www.qwiknumbers.com/national-insurance-contact-number

pensionpat Tue 05-Apr-16 16:36:52

Lysander. I think your enquiry relates to State Pension. There is another angle to consider too before you decide you have enough contributions. If you have a health problem and wish in the future to claim Employment Support Allowance (which used to be called Sickness Benefit) you entitlement will be considered using 2 specific tax years. If you take advice, seek clarification of this too.

Indinana Tue 05-Apr-16 16:46:11

I doubt Lysander needs any more advice now. Seeing as his original post was 4 years ago, I would imagine he's long since sorted out what he needed to do hmm

glassortwo Tue 05-Apr-16 16:55:57

I am 60 and retired to look after the GC. I have just found that if you care for GC for parents to work you can be credited for your NI, only payable for one child. But you have to reapply every Dec 31 as it doesn't roll over, it can be backdate for a few years too( don't know the exact details off the top of my head, but go onto directgov and you will find all info, also link to form, which has to be completed by Parent) worth claiming if you are below retirement age and do childcare for Grandchildren.

pensionpat Tue 05-Apr-16 18:35:13

Ha ha!

glassortwo Tue 05-Apr-16 20:04:33

hmm

Ana Tue 05-Apr-16 20:08:14

I thought that too, glass - can only presume pensionpal was responding to Indiana's post, as yours was very helpful!

glassortwo Tue 05-Apr-16 20:16:15

grin I thought so too ana

pensionpat Tue 05-Apr-16 22:41:39

Sorry for confusion. I was laughing at myself. I had spent a good few minutes phrasing my advice for someone who had asked for it 4 years ago! Right on the ball, me.

glassortwo Tue 05-Apr-16 22:47:53

smile

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Apr-16 23:15:14

Just one thing Id like to add, I retired 2 years ago and have 9 years till my state pension. When I checked I had 35 years stamps and so I'm classed as paid up. You don't continue paying but you don't receive anything until you reach 67 ( in my case)