Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Great time to insulate your house at the moment

(11 Posts)
speck123 Fri 17-Aug-12 20:49:00

What you need to be careful about when done `free` is that the workers will often simply throw the insulation (like a blanket) over all the electrical wiring, rather than place the insulation under the wiring. This means that if you ever need to check or replace wiring and boxes someone has to spend time burrowing under the insulation.
I was fortunate to be able to pay for mine ( not too expensive) and required the wiring to be laid on top of the insulation rather than left below it!
If, ofcourse, your free fitters did that - fine!

JessM Fri 15-Jun-12 19:12:50

Is there someone who could check for you stansgran?
Friends of mine once bought a brand new house, very high energy efficiency rating. Thought the bedrooms were a bit cold.
Looked in the loft - the rolls of insulation material were up there but the builders had forgotten to actually unroll them.
No wonder they weren't doing any good!

Stansgran Fri 15-Jun-12 18:57:59

The only thing is I couldn't get up into the loft to check what they did-I saw the rolls of stuff go up but one room has difficult access and it certainly is no warmer than before(freezing in fact)

JessM Fri 15-Jun-12 13:56:13

I understand some companies are offering help with loft clearance - you say yay or nay and they take the nays to the charity shop. !

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 23:01:45

this sort of thing

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 23:00:11

Annobel my other daughter had external insulation applied to her single brick wall house. Local authority paid. Has much such a difference! Was a really cold house before, now cosy. Might be worth looking into.

MaggieP Thu 14-Jun-12 22:54:22

We are having ours done for free also, we do not have enough insulation , I thought it was free because of our age but the reasons are exactly as JessM says! The downside is that we are spending ages emptying the loft of 39 yrs of marriage accumulated stuff plus all our grown up kids 'stuff' we have hung onto even though they all left home and are married.....
Maybe it's really a good thing to get ourselves tidied up! smile

Annobel Thu 14-Jun-12 17:50:11

Had my loft insulation doubled last year, free of charge because of my age - so there are some advantages. Don't have any cavities in this old house, but brick walls are quite thick and I do have good quality double glazing. I had cavity insulation in my last house which was like a tea cosy.

Anagram Thu 14-Jun-12 17:44:32

Wish they'd clear my loft! (Would have to get OH out of the way first...hmm)

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 17:43:45

DD had hers done on Tuesday. Council paid.

JessM Thu 14-Jun-12 17:41:50

Someone in the industry has just explained to me that now is a great time to have your loft or cavity wall insulation done and you can probably get it for free.
This is because the energy companies have a pot of money they have to spend on energy efficiency measures in the next few months. They are obliged by the government to spend a certain amount of money in this area, and the scheme is changing in a few months. Which means the current pot has to be spent or they get fined.
If your loft is not insulated, or if it only has a couple of inches in it - now is the time to go for it. The recommended amount is about 10 inches. They are so keen to get people to sign up that some offers include clearing or part boarding the loft.
Cavity wall insulation is the other big way to save money on energy bills, and this is also being funded. So if you have been putting this off, then worth getting on with it this summer.