Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Benefits for the elderly

(6 Posts)
gma Mon 16-Jul-12 19:07:01

I would like to send a great big 'Thank you' to Age UK!!!
Although my 85 year old mum is not struggling finanically, like all pensioners money is tight. She has been very much against applying for any state benefits because she thought that she had too much money in the bank and did not want to ask for charity. She lives in rented accomodation, and when her rent and council tax have been paid she was left with under £20 per week for everything else. She had been using her savings for a long time now and her balance was well below the threshold for applying for benefits. I looked on line at the forms which we needed to fill in and they are not exactly user friendly. I then called AgeUK for some advice and they suggested that one of their volunteers visited my mum and help fill the forms in. A Very Helpful and Patient gentleman arrived, the forms were all filled in and sent off with appropriate bank statement etc. Within one week she was notified that she would be receiving a total of £95 per week in benefits and they were back dated!!! She could not believe that she was entitled to this money and is very grateful for the help which Age UK gave. Thanks again Age UK flowers

tanith Mon 16-Jul-12 19:10:49

I wish I could get my 85yr old elderly friend to claim , we had Age UK come out to try to help her but as soon as they mentioned bank statements she showed them the door.. She doesn't even have anything in the bank apart from her monthly pension but she wasn't going to let 'strangers' know her business...
Thats how it stays and I'm sure she'd qualify for some benefits..
I'm glad they were able to help your Mum

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 19:22:18

AA65+ is for people who need help with personal bodily functions or supervision. It is non means tested and you do not need to provide bank statements!

Annobel Mon 16-Jul-12 19:38:56

Pension Credits can be claimed by telephone (0800 99 1234). They will fill in the forms and send them to the claimant for signature.

Annobel Mon 16-Jul-12 19:41:07

And what's more, if you get pension credits you also get council tax benefit as well as (if you are paying rent) housing benefit.

gma Mon 16-Jul-12 21:05:33

Thanks gransnetters for all your postive feedback. I know that my mum was not the only one who would not 'accept charity' and now she realises that all the while there was a pot of money, waiting, with her name on it!!!! I have become quite evangalistic about this!! Many men and women of her generation have worked hard all their lives and asked nothing from the state - and when the time comes when they need a little assistance they are too proud to ask. If you know anyone in this situation see what you can do for them-good luck!!!