Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Mums house needs repairs

(8 Posts)
ChrisGollins Sun 30-Sep-12 12:28:33

My 83 year old mum recently moved into care. Instead of selling her house we have chosen to rent it out to help raise money to words her care fees. The roof is leaking and needs a few thousand pounds spending to put it right. Are we entitled to any grants or subsidies to help with the bill ?

glammanana Sun 30-Sep-12 12:33:18

chris I would suggest that you have a chat with Age UK they will be able to put you on the right track,I am not to sure you can get help with the costs unless your mum is living in the house but they will know the way if it is possible.Good luck.

FlicketyB Sun 30-Sep-12 12:39:18

I think that is unlikely now that your mother no longer lives there. There are some grants available to do house repairs where an elderly person is still living in the house and the repairs will enable to remain in their home but otherwise I think nothing. Particularly as the repairs are needed to let the house out on a commercial basis.

Are you claiming all the benefits your mother is entitles to to help pay for her care fees? She would be entitled to Attendance Allowance at the highest rate and if her income is low will be entitles to Pension Credit. Your local Age Uk can advise you and help you with this, plus of course all the information is available online.

If she is in a nursing home because her condition requires continual nursing care then she may well be entitled to have her fees or part of them paid by the NHS.

ChrisGollins Sun 30-Sep-12 17:19:55

Thanks for the advice. Will phone age uk in the morning smile as for benefits, I think all she's claiming is state pension and is allowed to carry on receiving carers allowance. Not sure what else she'd be entitled to

jeni Sun 30-Sep-12 18:22:46

Flickety. HR AA is only payable if care/supervision is required by day and night. If it is day or night only LR AA is payable.
Careers allowance has very different rules .it is linked to dla/AA but is not the same thing!

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Sep-12 22:52:48

My mother can't get help, and she's living in the house! She still has a little too much money - not that it would make much difference with the Social Services here.

FlicketyB Mon 01-Oct-12 16:51:50

Generally when someone goes into care it is because they need care and supervision 24/7 and care homes supervise all residents at night.

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 23:56:01

Hi chrisgollins a sure way to find out is to call your local Borough Council as they would be aware of any Grants...