Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Pension top up

(7 Posts)
railman Wed 17-Oct-12 11:51:28

Apologies to all if this has been discussed before.

But - my wife currently receives state pension, but has not had sufficient NI contributions to achieve full state pension.

I have read somewhere this morning on a government website that even for a married woman, if the amount paid falls below £64.40 per week, it will be "topped up" to that figure.

Is that true?

FlicketyB Wed 17-Oct-12 12:09:11

Railman, I would contact your local branch of either the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB), or Age UK(was Age Concern). Both have specialised advisors who can help you.

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 12:15:59

Any years not working but looking after children should count if her husband was working. Of course, if you remarry before pension age you lose that.

railman Wed 17-Oct-12 13:16:10

Thanks for your comments - I'll give the CAB and Age UK a call to see what I can dig out.

The only 'top up' I was able to uncover is for pensioners over 80, who have few or no NI contributions.

I did come across this reference though (, which includes this reference about looking after children:
Parents and carers
One of these must apply: you’re on Carer’s Allowance, Income Support
or getting Child Benefit for a child under 12You get credits

This seems to suggest that once the child is over 12 years of age, the parent needs to go back to work to gain further NI contributions, or pay extra, or if going back to work, then childcare needs to be provided for a child over 12 years of age.

Hmmm - more investigation needed.

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 13:25:20

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I may need the advice myself next year!

janeainsworth Wed 17-Oct-12 13:31:09

Why don't you just contact the Pension Service?
I have always found them very helpful.

railman Tue 23-Oct-12 11:59:30

Thanks janeainsworth - I've finally got around to calling the DWP.

The story is:
a) As I have full NI contributions, my wife's pension would be topped up to that figure.

b) If we don't see a change we need to call the DWP on 08456 060 265, and contact under the 'change of circumstance' category.

c) Also worth noting that the £64-40 figure is for 2012/13, and increases are currently linked to the RPI, which is set at 2.6% as of September this year.

Thanks for your advice - they were as you say very helpful.