Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Moving near family

(19 Posts)
peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:58:31

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but maybe someone can help me. I live in a Park Home many miles away from my children, I really like it, but since my husband died I am lonely and need to be near my family. I am on the list for sheltered accommodation here, but would like to move nearer to my son. Can I transfer to the Council near him to get a flat?

Marelli Sun 21-Oct-12 09:02:06

You must have been having a sleepless night, peaches41, to have been writing at that time. You are bound to be feeling lonely. I can't help you with any information, but I think there are one or two Gransnetters who may be able to give you the right information , and no doubt they'll see your post and answer it soon. Have you tried contacting the council iin the area that your son lives? smile

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 09:41:28

Hi Marelli - Yes I wander about most of the night like a ghost, making tea, doing my ironing, etc etc! I used to sleep well, but since having chemo a few years ago the treatment left me (and almost everyone who has chemo sad ) with neuropathy which affects feet and toes. Nothing anyone can do, just have to live with it I'm afraid! My gp wasn't very helpful either, she just said when you run out of housework at your place, you can pop round and do mine lol!

My son is going to visit his local council offices this coming week and see what we have to do, he's being really helpful. Thanks for replying.

Jodi Sun 21-Oct-12 09:53:53

I too don't know the answer. But I'm sorry you are lonely and can't sleep. (((Hug)))

Elegran Sun 21-Oct-12 10:05:11

0Meanwhile, Peahes can you get signed up to Skype (free) and arrange a set time each day to phone, so that you can at least see his face when you chat to him?

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:24:19

Hi Elegran - Yes, I've got Skype and often use it to speak to the family, especially the grandchildren, thanks for the suggestion, though x

Thanks for the vitual hug, Jodi x

Marelli Sun 21-Oct-12 10:44:59

It's small comfort I know, but all of us are here to chat to when you feel like it. Looks like your son will doing his best to help you. Good luck and please let us know how things go? Every wee bit of knowledge that comes through helps those who might be needing it at some time or other. smile

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:50:02

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes. Anyone like to buy a lovely mobile home in Cornwall lol!!

Marelli Sun 21-Oct-12 10:55:53

I wish, peaches...I wish!!! grin

Mishap Sun 21-Oct-12 11:11:31

Any park homes near your son?

It might be worth contacting the local council in the area in which your son lives. This cannot be a unique situation.

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 11:29:21

Mishap - well I did think of that, but to tell you the truth I can't really cope with the garden, also some of these Parks are quite rural and remote, the one I'm on now is 17 miles from a town, and even more to the local hospital. I am in my late 70s now and would like a little flat, near to the town and buses so that I could sell my car, warden controlled, and near to the family.

tanith Sun 21-Oct-12 12:02:51

Peaches I don't know much about it but if you look at the website for the council where your family live on they do usually either explain their policy or provides links so you could find out . In my borough an elderly friend who lives 70miles away can apply for sheltered housing near to me and her grandchildren but she is in two minds at the moment as she's lived in her house for many years..

tanith Sun 21-Oct-12 12:03:45

Oh I wish for an 'edit' button.. sorry that first sentence doesn't really make sense..

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 12:10:46

tanith - your first sentence makes perfect sense to me! My son is looking into his local council policy for me, so that's covered.
I can well understand your friend's dilemma - it's so hard to leave somewhere that you've lived in for so long, and then there are the friends and memories that you have made over the years. But somehow I feel I've come to the end of this particular part of my life now, and feel able to move on (I hope).

glammanana Sun 21-Oct-12 12:52:04

peaches41 Yes your son should be able to have your name listed on his local council list for re-housing,mr.glamma and I live in a supported housing apartment not quite sheltered as we live very independantly and only have a support link tied up to the phone in case mr.glamma ever takes ill when I am not at home,we do have a warden who calls twice a week to us but she can call every day if we requested her to.We where allocated it because we are over 55 yrs and mr.g.has a health problem but as long as you meet the age criteria you are fine,all councils seem to have this sort of housing so you will hopefully be lucky.Our apartment is very modern light and airey with a shared communial garden where I have been known to arrange parties for birthday's etc have a look at my profile and you will see one of our get togethers but we do not live in each others pockets just nice friendly

peaches41 Sun 21-Oct-12 13:19:29

glammanana - your set-up sounds perfect to me, hope I will be as lucky. I should meet the criteria as I am well over the minimum age.
I am going to have a look at your profile now.

Marelli Sun 21-Oct-12 20:13:29

I was hoping glamma was available to talk to you, peaches, as I knew she'd got a wealth of knowledge about this type of thing! Good luck! smile

glammanana Mon 22-Oct-12 09:29:57

Marelli Thanks for the compliment I was lurking about yesterday when I came across the

Marelli Mon 22-Oct-12 11:54:02

glamma - my pleasure! smile