Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Car Insurance

(16 Posts)
marrbarr1 Mon 26-Nov-12 20:53:21

Can anyone recommend any good car insurance firms for quotes please? Thankyou.

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 20:56:11

I used a comparison website and went with the cheapest one that suited our needs. A lot will depend on what you are looking for, as an example a few years back I had a "grey" japanese import car, which my then insurer couldn't cover.

merlotgran Mon 26-Nov-12 20:56:34

Look on one of the price comparison sites like Go Compare. We are with SAGA at the moment but two years ago they were more expensive than some of the others.

HUNTERF Mon 26-Nov-12 21:00:41

Saga has never been any good for me.

annodomini Mon 26-Nov-12 22:04:19

I found the price comparison sites most deceptive. The quote given for the car is the most basic comprehensive insurance. If you are looking for things like no claims discount protection, it can add a good deal to the basic. So beware of the add-ons. I found my best quote was from the AA last year, having had a hugely increased premium quote from Tesco, my insurer for the previous seven years.

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:07:29

marrbarr1, have you been a member for long, and how did you first come across Gransnet? We are always keen to hear how people first found this site, and of course to know a little bit about you!

marrbarr1 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:28:25

Ive just joined Gransnet tonight. Found it through "Help the Aged". I didnt even know it existed.

annodomini Mon 26-Nov-12 22:33:40

Welcome marrbarr1. I hope you'll talk some more to us - and get your car insurance sorted out. smile

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:37:44

I thought "Help the Aged" no longer existed, but could be wrong.

marrbarr1 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:40:01

I typed Help The Aged into Google and ended up here. I'm pleased - I think Gransnet is going to be a very useful find.

yogagran Mon 26-Nov-12 22:49:31

Help the Aged has been re-branded as Age UK

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:50:58

Yes, yoga I know!

absentgrana Tue 27-Nov-12 08:50:24

I expect most car driving grannies are already aware that their insurance will be increasing from next month. An EU directive has said that it is sexist for insurers to offer lower premiums to female drivers. The insurance companies are fed up because, as they rightly point out, premiums are based on risk assessment and women have fewer and less serious accidents than men. Nevertheless, there is no arguing. The consensus seems to be that men's premiums will come down slightly and women's will go up a lot.

Btw Hello marrbarr1 an welcome.

annodomini Tue 27-Nov-12 09:21:43

A lot of people still don't know that Age Concern and Help the Aged are now united under the name of Age UK. Old titles die hard! I only found out about it because they asked me last year to shake a can for them a couple of times.

absentgrana Tue 27-Nov-12 09:23:02

annodomini "Old titles die hard!" Was that a deliberate joke or a happy coincidence? grin

annodomini Tue 27-Nov-12 10:05:26

Subconscious joke? No, to be honest, just a happy coincidence!