Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

my bank hasn't received a cheque I sent to them two weeks ago. HELP!

(6 Posts)
flowerfriend Mon 28-Jan-13 12:26:09

I recently sold some shares in a unit trust. Money I need to make up the short-fall in my income. The investment company in the UK sent to me in France a sterling cheque and I immediately posted it to my Nationwide account in Swindon. The cheque hasn't been received. What do I do now?

glassortwo Mon 28-Jan-13 12:36:00

Would the company cancel the cheque and they will know that its not been cashed and then re-issue.

Mey Mon 28-Jan-13 12:50:53

It may have been lost in the post. If it were an ordinary cheque made out to you it should not fall into the wrong hands. I would firstly check balance on your account as bank clerks DO makes mistakes on a regular basis, if it is not in your account you could call the company that sent the cheque and ask them for a specific cheque number to ensure it was sent and ask them if the cheque has been cashed. If the cheque has not been cashed then it would be simple a case of them re issuing the cheque due to it being lost in the post. Hope that helps. Please dont worry too much it will get resolved.

glammanana Mon 28-Jan-13 13:00:39

Certainly chase it up as Mey says but two weeks is not a lot of time in the banking world as we have found out when transferring Isa's,there could also be a delay on the postal delivery if the mail went by sea and not air as from personal knowledge bags of post can be left behind in Calais,there is also the chance this cheque is sitting on someones desk and they dont rush themselves unfortunatly.

Movedalot Mon 28-Jan-13 13:26:42

I think I would check that it hasn't been cashed and see what their policy is on reissuing cheques. They may have a specified time before they will do this. Do you bank online? If you do you can check every day to see if it has gone in. I think it still takes a few days for the cheque to show in you account even after the bank has received and processed it. How long is it since you posted it?

flowerfriend Mon 28-Jan-13 18:22:49

I posted the cheque 13 days ago. The post between France and the UK normally takes just two days.

But hurray! Checked my account on line this pm and the cheque is in my account.

I would still like to know where on earth it has been since January 15th.