Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Sharing House Expenses when Parent and Offspring living together.

(12 Posts)
FlicketyB Sat 09-Feb-13 15:08:44

Speak to the CAB or Age UK. They will have all the information you need to deal with this and will probably be able to support those affected when they deal with Social Services

HUNTERF Sat 09-Feb-13 12:08:19

Hi Lilygran

I have spoken to the lady on the phone this morning and she seems reasonably OK.
We did briefly mention the meeting with the Social Worker and she has said that she will mention it to the relatives who are living with their parent and they will hopefully get on to AgeUK.
I did read a few days ago that due to the money situation councils are now having a harder look at the finances of people who have to go in to care.
The only thing I could think of is possibly opening a joint household expense account, and the offspring and parent put an even amount in it to pay the bills.
Car running expenses could be more difficult.
In my case Dad and myself tended to go shopping and on holidays together so from that point of view the expenses should be split.
We never thought of it from an expenses point of view but we lived on the north side of Birmingham and almost all of Dad's hospital appointments were at various hospitals on the south side.
I could see a social worker saying the car should be ran at my expense but if I had kept a log on the mileage Dad was probably getting the most use out of the car even though I was driving it.
The other difficulty I could see is proving who had the services which money is spent on could be difficult.
I never objected but Dad for example liked a glass of whisky on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
I do not like whisky so I did not have any.
Also when we went out I normally had a cup of coffee where as Dad only liked tea which tends to be cheaper so will social services expect people to keep a log of every expense in future?.

Frank

vampirequeen Fri 08-Feb-13 17:51:18

I would simply say that we pooled our money and each paid half of the upkeep of the house and expenses.

Lilygran Fri 08-Feb-13 10:12:27

I see what you mean. You're thinking of other people who are sharing a home and expenses who find themselves in a similar situation, rather than the lady whose meeting you went to. I think what I said about getting professional advice is still the best route to take.

HUNTERF Fri 08-Feb-13 10:04:22

Hi Absent

I am talking about the wider family, cousins etc.

Frank

HUNTERF Fri 08-Feb-13 10:03:22

Hi Lilygran

At the start of the meeting the mother was alive.
It just happenrd she passed away just before the meeting ended.

Frank

Lilygran Fri 08-Feb-13 09:56:38

I can't imagine what involvement the social worker has in this matter if the mother has died before arrangements have been made for her to go into a care home. It would be routine for a social worker to be asking about finances if part or all of the cost of a care home was going to be paid by the NHS or local social services. Otherwise, nothing to do with social services, surely? Frank you've come to GN with a number of problems and we all give the advice we believe is correct. Some of us are actually qualified to do so! But I really believe you would do better to contact CAB or AgeUK or an advice centre. A lot of churches in urban areas run advice centres or the local library will have a list.

absent Fri 08-Feb-13 09:45:34

I am confused about the number of mothers in this family. confused Also I am not clear what the issue is. If other members of the family have a similar situation but with the parent in question still living, they would be wise to seek professional advice, especially as each case is likely to be different.

HUNTERF Fri 08-Feb-13 09:43:17

Another thing Greatnan.

There must be many of these types of situations around the country and I never thought about this when I was living with my father.

Frank

HUNTERF Fri 08-Feb-13 09:40:14

Hi Greatnan

As her mother suddenly passed away in hospital before the end of the meeting this will now not apply in her case.

Really she is just interested as there are 2 other widowed daughters in her wider family one living with her mother and one living with her father.

Frank

Greatnan Fri 08-Feb-13 09:35:20

Surely she would be better consulting the appropriate bodies, rather than relying on information from strangers on a forum?

HUNTERF Fri 08-Feb-13 09:30:57

I was asked to go in to a meeting with a lady yesterday as her mother was going to be taken into care but sadly her mother passed away before the meeting finished.
The daughter was widowed in 2002 and has been living with her mother since 2003.
Her father passed away in 2001 and she got half of the house under the terms of the will.
Her mother had to give up driving in the 90's due to sight problems.
The daughter is obviously very upset but I will invite her on to Gransnet at a more appropriate time.
The Social Worker did ask how did they share the expenses for the house and the answer was the mother had the direct debits for the council tax, electric, gas, water etc on her account and the daughter was paying for holidays, car running and car changes etc and buying most of the food.
The Social Worker then said that the daughter would have to pay half of the house running expenses back to her mother from when she moved in to the house and the fact she was paying for car running expenses etc did not count.
The mother went on holidays with the daughter, and she was in the car most of the time when it was used and even when the daughter was in the car on her own it was often to go and fetch something for the mother.
Obviously the mother eat some of the food.
Has anybody else had this problem with a Social Worker when somebody has been taken in to care?. It looks as if the daughter was paying at least half of the overall expenses even though she was contributing nothing to the house.
This was a similar arrangement to what I had with my father but he never went in to care.
The daughter has asked me to check this out as there are 2 other similar situations in the family.
I supose the mother and daughter could have paid half the house expenses each but would the council accept 2 direct debit payments in respect of one council tax bill and take half the money from 1 account and half from the other.
Also the daughter could have charged the mother every time she took her out in the car but things would get complex and I am sure this is not the way families want to operate.

Frank