Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Just starting POA and Wills

(5 Posts)
omits Fri 22-Feb-13 12:26:11

I have downloaded the pack from the .gov site - LPA. Some basic advice would be appreciated as we intend to do our POA and Wills (husband and wife) without using a solicitor as we do not have much funds.

glammanana Fri 22-Feb-13 12:31:56

omits have a peek at AgeUK site and you may find some useful information on there which may help you,with something like this I would be very careful and even though a solicitor does have charges sometimes you may be fortunate to find a solicitor whose charges are reasonable,I think POA does have charges when registered but don't quote me.You will find a lot of GNers will have information for you.Best of luck.

HUNTERF Fri 22-Feb-13 13:36:39

Omits

I would say be very careful on the wording of the will and make sure the will is kept up to date.
When my mother in law passed away the money was left to my daughters.
I was amazed how many of the relatives on her side of the family came out of the woodwork thinking they were entitled to the estate as my wife had passed away.
Myself and my daughters did the caring.
What really amazed me was when 1 of them said blood relatives must come first.
I beg the question are her granddaughters not blood relatives?.

Frank

kittylester Fri 22-Feb-13 14:13:04

Look up POA on the government web site. There is a charge circa £60 if my memory is correct (it usually isn't!) but we didn'tuse a solicitor for that. AgeUk is brilliant for advice regarding wills. smile

Barrow Fri 22-Feb-13 14:21:54

I have recently had POAs done by a Solicitor. I was going to do them myself but decided against it as I didn't want there to be any problems.

Depends on what you want but I had two done, one for Financial matters and the other for Health. Once completed they have to be registered, there is a fee, before they can be used, you don't have to do this right away but the registration takes around 8 weeks and that could cause problems if urgent decisions need to be made. If there is a problem with them they could be rejected. I appointed my Brother in law and Sister in law as my Attorneys as I don't have any immediate family and the Solicitor charged £700 including the registration fee, a lot of money I know but I think worth it