Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Wondering what a wife would be left with

(10 Posts)
Eleanorre Thu 07-Mar-13 10:28:35

If a husband has to go into a home and the wife has little income in her own right what happens ? Would this be taken into account regarding the cost despite the couple having savings well over the threshold . My husbands private pension and state pension would be swallowed up if he had to pay the full whack . Anyone any ideas ? A lot of couples must be like us with a house to maintain , heat etc . before taking into account the rest of everyday expenses .
This thought came to my husband at 2 o'clock this morning , we are off to our 6th funeral since last summer to-day but happily the aunt was 95 , the rest were not so lucky to live that long.

j08 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:38:11

I think 50% of the private pension would be taken by the local authority and 50% would be paid to you.

j08 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:40:41

look here

Ana Thu 07-Mar-13 10:46:37

I was under the impression you lived in Scotland, Eleanorre. Isn't care free there?

bluebell Thu 07-Mar-13 11:30:13

Go to the CAB - it is complicated!

Eleanorre Thu 07-Mar-13 14:51:33

Ana care is far from free in Scotland only the nursing part is free . This is very much what is proposed for England as well in the future . My sister-in-law went through all the cash ( apart from the small amount you are allowed to keep ) plus the value of her house in care home fees .
I asked the CAB and they were hopeless .

HUNTERF Thu 07-Mar-13 15:32:14

I think it would be best if the savings were split half each at this stage as the council could only take savings which belongs to the person needing care.
Half the occupational pension is disregarded if it is being paid to the spouse not going in to care.
If the husband or wife is in the house it can not be taken by the council.
If your house is jointly owned it will be worth splitting the ownership in to Tenants in common so you each own your halves of the house separately.
It is possible the spouse who is not in care could pre decease the one who is.
If this does happen the half of the house which belongs to the one not in care can be willed to the offspring and not used for care fees where as if it is owned jointly it will all go to the one in care and it could all be used for care fees.

Frank

Jadey Thu 07-Mar-13 15:47:26

AGE CONCERN have lots of advise about these situations and would be a good place to start I think.

I was a volunteer for Age Concern and they had a speacial person that came in on a regular basis to help people with their finances.

Jay1952 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:02:21

HUNTERF has made some very valid points.

On the last point, on the death put the share into a discretionary trust.

HUNTERF Thu 07-Mar-13 17:49:48

Hi Jay

I have put a question under legal re Discretionary Trusts and described my circumstances in relation to inheriting my parents house.
It is too late now as they have both passed away but I would like to know if anything would have been gained.

Frank