Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Isa

(24 Posts)
HUNTERF Sat 06-Apr-13 10:18:23

Has everybody remembered to open an ISA for the 2013 to 2014 today?.
You can put £5760 in to it.

Frank

Ana Sat 06-Apr-13 10:21:06

Are you offering, Frank? grin

gillybob Sat 06-Apr-13 10:21:59

I note the use of the word "everybody" Frank bad choice. You see "everybody" has not got £5760 to put in an ISA.

Ana Sat 06-Apr-13 10:28:30

No indeed - which is why I thought Frank was very kindly offering to give us all £5760 to pay into our newly-opened ISAs. wink

HUNTERF Sat 06-Apr-13 10:36:17

I thought all Gransnetters would put the full amount in to an ISA to save the tax on the interest.

Frank

Ana Sat 06-Apr-13 10:37:57

Hardly worth bothering about the tax you'd save at today's interest rates...

Anne58 Sat 06-Apr-13 10:38:01

This Gransnetter doesn't happen to have any spare money to put anywhere.

Tegan Sat 06-Apr-13 10:58:17

I made a mistake of not changing my ISA for a couple of years with interest rates being so low, and wanting the money in an instant access account, until I realised that I was getting no interest on it but if I put it in a two year ISA I'd get @ 2 1/2% and, if I did withdraw it, it wouldn't matter if I lost the interest as I wasn't getting any anyway. It was a no brainer..but I lost that interest in the meantime. Every little bit of money helps these days.

bookdreamer Sat 06-Apr-13 10:58:44

Phoenix. Have just looked to see if there was an update on your job on other threads and can't find one! How did things go? Apologies if you've posted elsewhere

absent Sat 06-Apr-13 11:09:51

Given that my move is costing about £15,000, I shall be taking money out of my ISA not putting it in this April.

Nelliemoser Sat 06-Apr-13 23:42:14

Frank I cannot be doing with your arrogance in assuming all Gransnetters have money to save, let alone the £5760 cash maximum.

Now I am retired I am digging into my savings for big items.
If I do "save" any money now it is because my bank account gets a temporary surplus and I put some in an instant access ISA which will probably go on my next holiday or other big annual bills or for the replacement of household white goods. My washing machine is 14yrs old my Dishwasher 11yrs.

gillybob Sat 06-Apr-13 23:47:05

Exactly my sentiment Nelliemoser . Frank obviously lives in this sad little world where money is god . His terms "everybody" and " all Gransnetters" made me very angry .

harrigran Sun 07-Apr-13 00:35:48

I only got round to doing last year's ISA a week or two before the deadline.
Frank may not be assuming anyone invests the full amount in one go, after all some ISAs allow you to invest from £1 or on the other hand he could think we are all rich women with big houses grin

HUNTERF Sun 07-Apr-13 23:07:52

harrigran

If you wish you can now put some money in this years ISA.
I have put some money in a 5 year ISA.
I think the advisor was right to ask if I wanted to put money in a 5 year ISA at my age but I am not bothered as I am sure my daughters will ensure the money is spent wisely should I pass away.
When I get above 75 I might think twice about putting money in to a 5 year ISA but I probably will if my financial situation is still ok.

Frank

HUNTERF Sun 07-Apr-13 23:12:34

harrigran

There must be some rich women with big houses as some may be able to con a father out of the children's inheritance.
Fortunately my mother was too sharp to allow this to happen and my father was the same.

Frank

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 07:46:32

HUNTERF Why would you assume that a rich woman with a big house has obtained it by means of a con?

petra Wed 10-Apr-13 16:20:21

I drew mine OUT yesterday. I made more on Premium Bonds than I did with isa's

Ana Wed 10-Apr-13 16:54:52

I put money into an ISA a couple of days before the end of the financial year and the H**** lost it! angry It was paid into the wrong account, and they're still trying to sort it all out...

Movedalot Wed 10-Apr-13 17:46:03

Keep on their backs Ana they have a duty of care. The problem at this time of year is that they can't cope with the flood of applications. DS says another one has lost £8k of his money but I expect they have just got behind on the paperwork.

Ana Wed 10-Apr-13 17:54:56

Had a phone call from Head Office shortly after I posted - it had been paid into someone else's account and they're having to write to that customer and explain to them....she was most apologetic but said it would take a few more days to sort out! It's the local branch who made the mistake and gave the cashier the wrong a/c number.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Apr-13 19:33:10

Anyway, you're not entirely right, Frank. The total ISA allowance for 2013-14 is £11,520 which can all be put into a stocks & shares ISA. If you want to put up to half of the allowance into a cash ISA you can, but then you only have £5,760 for you stocks and shares one.

Hope you're getting things sorted out, Ana. You must have steam coming out of your ears! brew flowers

absent Wed 10-Apr-13 19:45:31

I think I shall just to keep to my offshore hedgehog fund.

Ana Wed 10-Apr-13 19:50:57

Yes, it was a mistake to offer my contribution to the bankers' bonuses - hedgehog fund next stop!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 11-Apr-13 20:15:41

The trouble with a hedgehog fund is surely when you put your hand in to take some out, isn't it? I know saving is a good idea, but it seems a bit tough to have to risk a handful of spines when you want to buy something. shock Is an offshore hedgehog the same as a sea urchin?