Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Moving house

(17 Posts)
Jumpback Thu 11-Apr-13 13:46:10

My husband is wheelchair bound, due to a stroke, he is currently in a care home temporarily, because our home is not suitable for a wheelchair, while we wait to be rehoused, and there's no telling when that will be! What are our rights if there is extra financial costs.

HUNTERF Thu 11-Apr-13 16:45:57

I don't know how you can expect to get reimbursed for any financial costs.
When a man became disabled by where I live he sold his house and got a 2 bedroom bungalow.
It was built to take a wheel chair.
He just had to pay the removal costs himself and he had to pay for a special bed.

Frank

HildaW Thu 11-Apr-13 16:56:01

Sorry your husband has been ill Jumpback. However, I am not sure why you think that someone else should foot your moving bills. If we had to move due to ill health, we would have to meet all the costs ourselves, and would not expect it any other way.

Mishap Thu 11-Apr-13 17:20:16

If you have your house adapted to suit your husband's needs you can apply for means-tested funding for this.

Any help that might be forthcoming if a move is essential depends on a lot of things, including whether you are in receipt of benefits.

Are you in a council home or do you own it? Are the council re-housing you to one of their properties.

Sorry to hear about your husband's health problems.

grannyactivist Thu 11-Apr-13 17:31:05

jumpback are you in social housing at the moment? If so, low cost aids and adaptations are often provided for free and are funded by the LA and/or the housing association. There used to be a moving grant available for people on benefits who needed to move due to disability, but I doubt this exists any more. Perhaps an appointment with the CAB would be helpful, I'm sure they'll have all the current information. In the meantime, welcome to Gransnet and I hope you'll find plenty of support on here. smile

glammanana Thu 11-Apr-13 17:34:00

A gentleman we know now has to use a wheelchair due to his illness and he was rehoused to a bungalow,the Council agreed to adapt the home for him via occupational health services they fitted a wet room and door ramps and help in his bedroom,I'm not sure if he receives benefits I think he may as he is a quite a bit younger than us and not quite pensionable age,so its worthwhile speaking to the OH services for information.Hoping your DH improves and you get back together soon.

HildaW Thu 11-Apr-13 18:24:41

Sheesh.........perhaps I should have just claimed benefits, got funding for homes etc and NOT worked my arse off throughout my life!

Greatnan Fri 12-Apr-13 07:01:03

Hilda - your post is really not in keeping with the normal welcome and sympathy that we offer to members. I am glad other people have been more constructive. You have no way of knowing how long or hard Jumpback and her husband have worked.
Jumpback - my best wishes to you and your husband. When my daughter was disabled following an operation, she owned her own home but she had a downstairs toilet installed and grab rails fitted - I am not sure which agency was responsible. She was also offered help in insulating the house, but that had already been done.

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 07:43:53

Jumpjack, sorry to hear about your husband's plight. If there's a Citizens' Advice Bureau near to you, go along and ask them your question. If they don't have all the answers they will point you in the right direction to find out. All the best.

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 08:23:30

HildaW I was shocked to read your opening message to Jumpback you know nothing of her financial status. Perhaps she and her husband were already in local authority housing or like my parents who did own their ex council house but could only sell for under 60k which would not have bought them the adapted bungalow they desperately needed. Mind you they have paid every single penny of what they sold their house for back in rent on the bungalow and have virtually nothing of left.

Anyway welcome to GN jumpback I sincerely hope you and your husband are reunited soon. It must be very difficult for both of you living apart like that. flowers

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 08:28:11

Sorry meant to add to HildaW most of us work very hard throughout our lives. Some of us hit lucky financially and others do not. My dad worked until he was made redundant at 60 ( too young but he never worked again as he spends his life looking after my extremely poorly mum) my mum bless her worked VERY HARD and half killed herself lifting and carrying until the pains she had in her shoulders and back were diagnosed as bone cancer. Please don't judge hard work as being equal to financial gain because it doesn't always mean the same thing. smile

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 09:28:52

Look on an Age Uk or disabilty benefits sites.

Does he have any support from social services? They should know about funding in situations like this. They have a duty to assess such things as needing housing alterations to accommodate a disabilty. has he gome into a home from hospital? If that has been arranged by the someone should explain funding to you.

I do suggest ringing social services where you live. Its their responsibilty

Here are a couple of links.

www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/adapting-your-home/ways-to-make-tasks-easier-around-the-home/

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/overview

Give someone a ring soon just to get things going a find out a bit more. it might help you feel less worried. Good luck!

Eloethan Fri 12-Apr-13 09:37:09

I know of several people - both those owning their own homes and renting - who have had adaptations made to their homes to aid access and mobility. As others have said, the CAB, or possibly Age UK, may be able to advise you on what is available.

It must have been a stressful time for you and I hope you are both soon settled.

Sewsilver Fri 12-Apr-13 09:40:35

Jumpback, what a difficult situation for you. I hope you find a solution soon.
And Hilda, how hard it must be to live a life without compassion.

HildaW Wed 17-Apr-13 12:11:29

Would just like to apologise for my outburst, was drunk and feeling very bitter.
We actually did have too move to care for FIL, he was originally not too poorly to be in a care home, but did need quite a lot of daily support and because local authority realised he was self funding we had no help, not even advise. Off the record I was told 'he wont go on any list'.
We sold our house, bought one suitable had it fitted out etc then went through the whole dreary dementia journey. After his death we realised his tax affairs were in a bad way and a lot of tax owing. We ended up emotionally and physically wrecked and very bitter about lack of official help and of course we had both had to give up work. Thankfully a local charity did offer some supportive advise but that was in the new area we moved to. Its taken us a long time to recover.

Greatnan Wed 17-Apr-13 12:52:06

Hilda, unless your FIL left money, his tax debts would have died with him. If he did have some estate, the VAT and HMRC are preferential creditors.
I take my hat off to you, you typed remarkably well for somebody who was drunk. A good warning to all of us who like a drink or two (I don't any more) to keep off forums if you are not yourself.

laidback Wed 17-Apr-13 16:03:55

Hello, may I suggest you ring your local Age UK branch office.They are extremely helpful and will be able to guide you. They will help you to fill in any paperwork if required and make enquiries on your behalf if you wish them to.