Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Here is an interesting concept

(8 Posts)
Elegran Thu 11-Apr-13 23:54:19

There was a thread a while ago asking how our online friends would know if we were not just having a rest from posting, but had died. Google have added another to the choices on Google accounts, which include saying who should be notified:-

"What should happen to your photos, emails and documents when you stop using your account? Google puts you in control.

You might want your data to be shared with a trusted friend or family member, or, you might want your account to be deleted entirely. There are many situations that might prevent you from accessing or using your Google account. Whatever the reason, we give you the option of deciding what happens to your data.

Using Inactive Account Manager, you can decide if and when your account is treated as inactive, what happens with your data and who is notified."

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/account/inactive

And there is a website devoted to questions like that;-
www.thedigitalbeyond.com/

Notso Fri 12-Apr-13 05:59:06

Thanks for that Elegran. I'm preparing a 'When I'm Dead' list to cover digital stuff. Such as who to notify from my Contacts list; passwords for Ebay, Amazon, PayPal etc in case there is money owing or due; log on details for sites that need closing down.

It's a bit early in the morning to be thinking of 'Dead' stuff, so I'm off to find something a bit more cheerful. Maybe a bowl of Shreddies!

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Apr-13 06:46:36

Oh, gosh - thanks for raising that. I hadn't even considered any of this!

When I get a mo ...... !

Elegran Fri 12-Apr-13 12:09:49

Sorry about that notso I just came across it . . . .

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 12:15:46

I think thats a great idea elegran I will have a look later.
I am in the process of setting up a meeting for my FIL with the undertaker to sort his funeral out, best to be prepared.

jennyjay Fri 12-Apr-13 16:57:55

Fantastic idea! I deal with a lot of online shopping, and banking etc - I honestly forgot to think about managing all this when i'm gone! Very happy to hear there are options available.

petra Sun 14-Apr-13 11:56:12

My DD has always had my online banking details because we do a lot of driving.( off on our 2nd road trip to Spain this year in a couple of weeks)
I hate the thought that if we "went " together, she would not be able to get money straight away. Morbid, I know. But you have to be realistic.

HUNTERF Sun 14-Apr-13 20:42:37

When my mother passed away her pension came to a stop.
The pension scheme took the death certificate as notice to stop paying the pension but my father was due to receive half of it as a widows pension.
The trustees would only start paying again when probate was obtained which took nearly 5 months.
Because of the pay dates Dad was without the money for just over 6 months.
The scheme did pay the arrears but if he had been dependant on the money he could have been in a financial mess.

Frank