Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Family law and legal aid?

(9 Posts)
AlieOxon Fri 05-Jun-15 10:31:38

Is there really no legal aid for family problems now?
Custody/guardianship in particular?

Anyone who knows about this - in detail - please pm?

AlieOxon Fri 05-Jun-15 12:27:09

Is there no one who can tell me more about this?

bikergran Fri 05-Jun-15 12:41:07

Alie I'm sure someone will be along soon that knows something, I am led to believe there were changes about the legal aid system time ago..but I don't know...maybe have a google until someone can help you.

Iam64 Fri 05-Jun-15 12:49:08

I've pm'd you Alie. The cuts to legal aid have badly affected families involved with the family courts. People are having to represent themselves except in "exceptional circumstances'. The head of the family division, Mr Justice Mumby has been critical and talked about the pressure on families/courts as a result of people acting for themselves in the absence of legal aid.
It's one of the very destructive actions taken by the government.

durhamjen Fri 05-Jun-15 20:45:29

fullfact.org/law/diy_justice_vital_reform_legal_aid-41090

Lots of links on here, Alie, and some explanation of what's happened.

AngelaBond Fri 31-Jul-15 13:51:46

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiniMouse Fri 31-Jul-15 14:24:40

AngelaBond is USA based.
Reported for advertising

Darrenthesolicitor Mon 22-Feb-16 11:12:44

Hi Alie

I hope you got the answer you needed. However just in case, Legal Help/ Legal Aid has been cut back dramatically since the cuts were introduced. For family cases if you are seeking legal advice or representation it is available where you are the victim of domestic abuse at the hands of the other side or the child you are applying for is at risk of harm. Both situations have strict evidence requirements which can make obtaining funding difficult.

However Legal Help is still available for mediation and help in mediation. Mediation would involve you sitting in the room with the other party or parties and with the assistance of a trained mediator try to reach agreement. Subject to how much you have in savings/earn this is covered by Legal Help . Similarly you are able to obtain advice from your won solicitor during the mediation process. this is called Help with Mediation and again, subject to your means, is still available.

For special guardianship cases I often come across the funding issue. If there is a particular issue regarding safety of the child and the Local authority are involved a grandparent can ask the Local Authority to pay the cost of the bill. My only advice if you are going to do this is to get it in writing.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else you need please let me know

thanks

Darrenthesolicitor Mon 22-Feb-16 11:17:21

Hi Alie

I hope you got the answer you needed. However just in case, Legal Help/ Legal Aid has been cut back dramatically since the cuts were introduced. For family cases if you are seeking legal advice or representation it is available where you are the victim of domestic abuse at the hands of the other side or the child you are applying for is at risk of harm. Both situations have strict evidence requirements which can make obtaining funding difficult.

However Legal Help is still available for mediation and help in mediation. Mediation would involve you sitting in the room with the other party or parties and with the assistance of a trained mediator try to reach agreement. Subject to how much you have in savings/earn this is covered by Legal Help . Similarly you are able to obtain advice from your won solicitor during the mediation process. this is called Help with Mediation and again, subject to your means, is still available.

For special guardianship cases I often come across the funding issue. If there is a particular issue regarding safety of the child and the Local authority are involved a grandparent can ask the Local Authority to pay the cost of the bill. My only advice if you are going to do this is to get it in writing.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else you need please let me know

thanks