Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Do you check your restaurant receipts?

(15 Posts)
TinyTwo Wed 25-Nov-15 12:06:22

We took my daughter and two grandchildren out on Friday evening. When the bill came, not only had they charged us for a different (more expensive) glass of wine than the one we ordered but there were also two coffees on the bill that we hadn't had. Manager gruffly corrected the bill but there was no proper apology from him, though the waitress did apologise.

Indinana Wed 25-Nov-15 12:11:12

My DD and I arrived late for lunch with some friends. The rest of the group had already ordered and were eating, so our order was separate. When their bill arrived, our meals were included. There was also a separate bill for us, with the same meals being charged there as well!

Charleygirl Wed 25-Nov-15 12:14:13

I went out with around 15 others for a meal one night. I had not been drinking because I was driving. I checked the bill and we were charged 2 extra meals. The manager did look sheepish, probably thinking that we would pay up and nobody would bother to check.

whitewave Wed 25-Nov-15 12:21:26

Yes! I am sure there are genuine errors made, but this happens so often that one does wonder.

Greyduster Wed 25-Nov-15 13:03:12

DH and I went to our local pub for a light lunch last year and when he went to pay the instead of £16.45, the till generated a receipt for £1,645!! The barmaid nearly fainted - she swore it wasn't anything she'd done. She called the manager and after much fiddling about, managed to cancel it (thank god!). I still have the receipt - they let us keep it!

Teetime Wed 25-Nov-15 13:03:49

We always check and have a rough idea as we go along what the bill should be. We have fallen victim to this little wheeze in the past.

HildaW Wed 25-Nov-15 15:38:47

Oh yes...OH is a stickler for that - its especially fun when they have left something off and you point it out.....9 times out of 10 they thank you heartily and let it go.......so much better being smug and right than trying to do a guilt ridden dash for the front door. grin

ginny Wed 25-Nov-15 15:44:48

Agree with you HildaW

I always check bills and bank accounts and cannot understand why anyone would not unless they have so much money they don't care.

soontobe Wed 25-Nov-15 15:47:25

I didnt use to, but have done lately as inexcusable errors have occured the last couple of times we went out.

MiniMouse Wed 25-Nov-15 16:47:10

Always! Two years running, at a works Christmas dinner in the same local restaurant, we were charged almost double shock The joke was that we had two financial wizards with us, who hadn't even noticed until I pointed it out! ( too many wine wine wine I suspect!) The restaurant owner offered no explanation, other than it being a mistake. hmm

Pittcity Wed 25-Nov-15 17:03:15

We did well at our Gransnet meetup in Norwich. Not only did we get a free bottle of wine with our meal, we were not charged for the coffees that we had when we first arrived. Since the total bill was very low and the service and food was fantastic we left a tip that more than covered the cost of the coffees.

What I hate is when they add a service charge to the bill.

rosesarered Wed 25-Nov-15 17:12:57

Yes, we always check it.Usually it's correct, but when not, we point it out and it gets changed with an apology.

merlotgran Wed 25-Nov-15 18:08:40

It's not only important to check the bill but also your debit/credit card statement.

Friends of ours booked at a riverside restaurant last Easter and left their card behind the bar because they wanted to run a tab to include drinks. They had a round of drinks while they waited (ages) for their order to be taken but it was so busy they changed their minds and decided to try somewhere else.

When they checked their bank statement they had not only been charged for the drinks but also four meals which they hadn't ordered.

It took a while for the manager to check their card details against meal receipts but they eventually got a refund.

jenn Wed 25-Nov-15 22:28:20

I still groan when I remember the time I did check the bill but not the amount put into the credit card machine and the bill of 24 euros was entered as 240!! I didn't realise until I looked at my credit card account when we got home , too late to do anything about it.
It was a nice meal but not 240 euro nice.
I check very, very carefully now.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 22:34:14

The only mistakes we have found so far have been against the pub. And we went back and paid up!