Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pension Credit Entitlement Issue

(8 Posts)
GeeKay Fri 15-Jan-16 11:35:29

Hi

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who will turn 63 on the 12th April 2016. He wishes to know whether he will be entitled to Pension Credit on that date. Unfortunately, this has proved to be no easy task. For example, the Government website dealing with such claims (gov.uk. pension credit calculator) is a bit like playing Minesweeper - it will only reveal if one is or not entitled to Pension Credit: it does not state WHEN one may be able to claim for it at a given point in the future. Therefore, any advice on this point will be very much appreciated.

Regards

pensionpat Fri 15-Jan-16 12:03:12

I worked with Pension Credit until 2 years ago. It is very complicated. The age of entitlement is linked to the age of entitlement to State Pension. And you know how complicated that has become! Also I think that if part of a couple, both parties need to be the correct age.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-16 17:11:48

Pension credit is tied to the state pension. You cannot get it if you are not receiving a state pension. The state pension entitllement age for men is currently 65 but goes up to 66 in 2018.

annodomini Fri 15-Jan-16 18:50:36

That's not strictly true MOnica because if a man is unemployed in his 60s he is unlikely to get new employment and it may be to his advantage to claim Pension Credit before he reaches pensionable age.

If you're a man, you can claim Pension Credit when you reach the State Pension age of a woman born on the same day and in the same year as you. This is an extract from the CAB Advice Guide web site :

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/older-people/benefits-for-older-people/#h-pension-credit

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-16 19:01:17

I made the mistake of using a government website. Would sooner trust CAB!

GeeKay Fri 15-Jan-16 19:40:36

Hi

Thanks for the helpful advice. Yes, I did study the CAB Advice Guide on the subject, but I'm afraid it was too general to answer my specific question. And as I've already pointed out, the gov.uk calculator - which the Guide includes on its webpage - is completely useless in this respect. All I can do then is wait and see if anyone who knows the factual answer to my query will get back to me on this forum.

Many thanks.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-16 20:10:35

Pulling the various answers above together.

I think the answer is that if he is working, it is 65 and if he is unemployed it is the current retirement age for women, which for women born between 6 April and 5 May 1953 is 6 July 2016. www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-1679780/New-state-pension-age-retire.html

GeeKay Sat 16-Jan-16 10:37:47

Thanks, M0nica - yes, my friend, who is a fully qualified electrician, does happen to be is currently out of work (despite his strenuous efforts to seek employment) and his 63rd birthday does fall between 6 April and 5 May 1953 2016. This means that he may be entitled to Pension Credit, after all - but not until 6 July of this year. But that's a lot better than not being entitled to it at all. . . or else having to hang on until he's 68 - as one Government website misleadingly suggests. All in all, it's little wonder why there's such a low pickup of such entitlements, given the lack of clarity on the information side of things.

Many thanks again smile