Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How do I find if my car has been given a parking ticket or similar?

(20 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 24-Feb-16 12:47:36

Someone bumped my car in Tescos car park . Nothing much but irritating. The insurers garage took it away on a transporter 9 days ago and it was returned yesterday with 50miles more on the clock. It was a snowy icy week and it's a 4x4. DH says forget it but I think someone has thought it was a useful car to have for the snowy weekend. I suppose I should shrug like DH but I would hate to find the car has a speeding or parking ticket. Does anyone know if I could find out and how? I would make a fuss but DH thinks it's more trouble than it's worth.

janeainsworth Wed 24-Feb-16 12:55:40

Stansgran why don't you just phone the garage and say "my car appears to have 50 miles more on the clock than when it was taken to you for repair. I'm just wondering how this came about?" or something similar, and see what they say ...........

Anya Wed 24-Feb-16 13:34:50

I'd forget it. In the unlikely event of a parking ticket/being used as a gettaway car/involved in a hit & run/drive-by shooting etc you have the receipt to prove it wasn't in your ownership at that time.
hmm

gillybob Wed 24-Feb-16 13:47:00

I agree with Anya unless the garage took a record of the mileage when
they took the car in and you have a copy then I'm afraid it might just be your word against theirs. In the (unlikely) event that a parking or speeding ticket does arrive then you have the perfect alibi, that the car was with the garage and therefore they are responsible.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Feb-16 13:52:07

I would definitely take it up with the garage! They can't just use your car just because it's in their workshop. Diabolical! Get on to them. hmm

Stansgran Wed 24-Feb-16 14:52:24

So there is a tiny bit of me that likes the idea of my staid and solid 4x4 being used as a getaway car or a drive by shooting( think of all the villains in downtown Newcastle )and it has got tinted rear windows........

janeainsworth Wed 24-Feb-16 15:37:39

You've been watching too much Vera Stansgran grin

grannylyn65 Wed 24-Feb-16 17:24:14

Be quicker on a bicycle than my car!?

Stansgran Wed 24-Feb-16 19:36:01

Oh Janea is it the ancient riding mac or the quilted gilet that's given me away?

janeainsworth Wed 24-Feb-16 22:35:44

Well if the cap fits, Stansgran........grin

durhamjen Wed 24-Feb-16 22:56:11

If you haven't heard in a month, then it hasn't been parked anywhere it shouldn't have been.
I think the car park companies have three weeks in which to send you a request for payment of a fine.

petra Thu 25-Feb-16 08:44:37

I would inform the insurers. You don't know how many others have complained and it all adds weight to bad garages.

Anya Thu 25-Feb-16 08:48:24

Jane I love Vera

janeainsworth Thu 25-Feb-16 11:14:54

Yes, I will watch anything that Brenda Blethyn is in Anya smile

Luckygirl Thu 25-Feb-16 11:18:01

I think it is worth mentioning it - if the garage realise that people are aware it might curb their enthusiasm in future.

Luckylegs9 Tue 15-Mar-16 06:30:04

I would ring the garage and ask the question. They could have an absolutely reasonable answer.

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-16 07:10:26

Or they might be horrified to realise that one of their employees has used your car and they'll give her/him a bollocking.

Charleygirl Tue 15-Mar-16 09:52:50

They may also say that the car had to go for a decent test run- a bit far I know but they in theory know best. It is your word against the garage owner/manager

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-16 12:36:04

I once did have a car used as a getaway car. I had traded it in but the garage had not sent the change of ownership details to the DVLC, so I got woken up late one night with the police on the doorstop asking about 'my' car.

There followed a long saga that lasted a year, which I will not bore you with, and which did not reflect well on the competence of the local police and ended with a phone call from the Sussex Police to say that my car was in their pound in Brighton (over 100 miles away), their investigations were complete and did I want to come down and collect it!

durhamjen Wed 16-Mar-16 20:36:42

Stansgran, have you heard any more?