Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pensions

(21 Posts)
annsixty Tue 22-Mar-16 10:32:37

This morning's DT has a supplement about pension planning.
Rather late in the day for some on here, certainly for us. However among the gobbledygook is some tonge in cheek advice along the lines of " we should plan on living to 90 and the last cheque we write should be to the undertaker and it
should bounce". What a wonderful aspiration.
The ultimate forward planning.

Charleygirl Tue 22-Mar-16 10:47:45

If that happened one would end up with a funeral organised by the council and it would border on a pauper's funeral with no frills.

annsixty Tue 22-Mar-16 10:52:18

Oh I assumed you would have just booked the funeral a few days before and left the cheque for him?
However when I have gone , they can take me to the crematorium in a dust cart for all that I will care.

Charleygirl Tue 22-Mar-16 10:54:57

annsixty I am inclined to agree- I do not believe in spending a fortune on items which will go into a fire. The crematorium will be making money from all the metal in my joints!

annsixty Tue 22-Mar-16 10:57:37

?

annsixty Tue 22-Mar-16 10:58:52

A little thread all to ourselves.

Charleygirl Tue 22-Mar-16 11:55:40

And why not- we are pleasant and polite!!!!

Shestheone Tue 22-Mar-16 12:09:50

Well, you've both made me chuckle smile

I would hate the DC to spend a huge amount on me........keep it simple, with a little buffet in someone's front room......although I'd like it if they planted a tree in my memory smile

Charleygirl Tue 22-Mar-16 12:18:43

A lot of what one sees is for show I think. Horses and carriage appeared here locally to remove the body which was in what looked like a very expensive casket. I knew that they must have pushed to boat out to provide all of this and for what purpose, bury or burn?

annsixty and I know how to keep the people in the aisles rollicking with laughter. I am Scottish, maybe that is showing?!!!!

Galen Tue 22-Mar-16 12:20:09

Next door's funeral is going to cost over £5000 and I know she has very little money herself.
I think it's such a waste of money.

Tizliz Tue 22-Mar-16 12:20:43

I sent off for Age Concern's brochure on all types of burials. I got instead a brochure on making my will with a form to fill in for the will writer of their choice. Don't like being pushed in one direction. Was it them who was in trouble last month for their recommended choice of electricity supplier?

Gagagran Tue 22-Mar-16 13:17:18

DH has already arranged for his remains to go for medical research - much cheaper although I don't fancy being diced and sliced myself. I want a wicker coffin in a green burial site and no religious service. I think ostentatious funerals are awful. And ridiculously expensive.

Stansgran Tue 22-Mar-16 15:59:20

Gagagrani really want a wicker coffin but I also want to be cremated and I hate the thought of all that wickerwork being wasted.

tanith Tue 22-Mar-16 16:05:42

I have told my OH that I would prefer there to be a cremation without a funeral and then the family gather somewhere special to scatter the ashes together... I know it won't happen that way as he believes everyone should have a funeral to say goodbye. I don't know how to insist without upsetting him, if he is left behind I suppose the funeral will be for his benefit certainly not mine. I would much prefer my children and grandchildren not to have to go to my funeral but just get together somewhere nice and remember me.

I think my way is best.

Jane10 Tue 22-Mar-16 16:39:39

I just want to be disposed of in the least inconvenient way possible for my family. These big fancy funerals always seem like an ego trip to me but not sure if that's down to the deceased or their families. I'm not important enough to justify the expense.

pompa Tue 22-Mar-16 17:08:34

StansGran, get a wicker coffin now, use it as a laundry basket until you need it, two birds with one stone.

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 17:18:06

There is a place near us in the Sussex Weald overlooked by Jack and Jill windmills where you can entirely do your own thing. Each plot will eventually become part of a woodland and trees are gradually being planted.

Cardboard or wicker coffins seem to be the norm and where there are enough strong people in the family the deceased can be carted there in the back of a van and carried by the family to the grave side.
My friend buried her Dad there recently, and the family all picked flowers from their gardens and those who wished said a few words. It seems eminently civilised to me and natural, and something we have indicated to the children we would like.

Galen Tue 22-Mar-16 18:00:40

Burn me then chuck my ashes in the Channel

Liaise Tue 22-Mar-16 18:41:48

Galen I like that idea. I always fancied being chucked in the sea when it's all over.

Charleygirl Tue 22-Mar-16 22:29:13

I do not think that cardboard would be sufficient to hold me- reinforced steel would be more like it. Joking apart, the cheaper the better. I would prefer to give the money to a charity than waste it on something that will last a few hours if that.

Coolgran65 Tue 22-Mar-16 22:43:02

Last week my friend mentioned to me that she had been reading up about Humanist Funerals and this thread prompted me to go have a quick search.
It looks interesting and can be done using a local funeral director with or without a Humanist Celebrant.
It doesn't appear to be the 'hippy' event that I had presumed.