Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Wrongful Arrest!

(20 Posts)
Maidmarion Thu 18-May-17 12:15:31

In April I had an 'altercation' with a very horrible neighbour! He's reknowned in this area for being awkward and has caused problems relating to our adjoining hedge on many occasions, even once throwing privet onto the bonnet of my car! He'd stopped his car at the end of my drive and I went towards it to 'cut him short' before he started his verbal abuse yet again! I was cutting a posy of flowers at the time and had some forget-me-nots in my left hand and a pair of tiny scissors in my right hand. I leaned my hands on the top of the car to steady myself (my drive is on a slope!) and after some 'discussion' he then told me to "get them bloody scissors out my face"!! I told him the scissors were nowhere near him and asked him once again to stop harrassing me! He drove off. This was on the 12th.

On the 23rd (11 days later!) I was woken at 8am by the Police who came to arrest me! It seems the neighbour had made a complaint that I had tried to stab him in the face with the scissors!!!! I was taken to a police station, my fingerprints, photo'and DNA samples were taken and I was put through a metal detector. (The police woman lifting my top over my bra to check if it was underwired - male policemen watching!!!) THEN, I was put into a cell to await the arrival of a duty solicitor!!!! I can't begin to tell you how traumatic this has been! The upshot was that I was interviewed and then told that there wasn't enough evidence to charge me so I was discharged! (Even then I had to go back into the cell to await paperwork!!) I am 68, never, ever had any problems with police in the past etc. and am utterly mortified that I was 'arrested' (especially as it was so long after the event!) and now my details are on file! I'm looking into 'wrongful arrest' now, but just wanted to share...

gillybob Thu 18-May-17 12:34:04

Blimey Maidmarion what a terrible ordeal for you. It just goes to show how neighbourly disputes (however silly they start off being) can escalate out of control. I wish you well in perusing wrongful arrest. Keep us posted.

gillybob Thu 18-May-17 12:35:27

Perusing??? Silly me.

In your Pursuit of....

vampirequeen Thu 18-May-17 12:41:44

OMG how awful. No wonder you're so upset. I would complain about the male police officers being present as your top was pulled up too. Disgraceful.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about wrongful arrest but it did seem a bit heavy handed. Surely they could have discussed the events with you in your home first before treating you like a criminal.

I definitely think it needs looking into. There are questions about the timing and why it took so long between the event and the arrest.

Do you keep a diary of the things he does/says? If not, it might be a good idea to start to keep one so that you have evidence of how he harasses you. Also a CCTV camera might be a good idea.

Maidmarion Thu 18-May-17 13:04:30

I've written a very detailed letter to the Chief Inspector, had a phone call from a 'Sergeant' who said I hadn't been 'wrongfully arrested' but when I went through everything again and pointed out that there had been a huge delay between the complaint and the 'arrest' he said 'Hmmmmm, I seem to have misinterpreted this'...!!! He then asked if I wanted to 'take it higher' .... YES definitely!!!!
My neighbour HAS a CCTV!!!!! I think the verbal abuse should stop now, all being well.
I'm still traumatised and whenever anyone comes to the door I think it's the police!!!

TriciaF Thu 18-May-17 13:27:50

That's dreadful, Maidmarion.
It might be worth getting some free advice from a lawyer to see what steps to take. Apart from anything else the police now have your details, not exactly a criminal record, but potentially.
A friend here had a similar experience - someone wrongfully accused him of assault. She later withdrew the accusation. If the accuser is found to have been lying I think that could be an offence in itself.

M0nica Thu 18-May-17 13:45:33

Maidmarion, what a dreadful thing to happen. Have you considered talking to a solicitor or the Citizen's Advice Bureau. I would if I was you. Some solicitors offer half hour free appointments.

Judthepud2 Thu 18-May-17 14:01:33

Maidmarion that is disgraceful! Absolutely take it further, police Ombudsman if necessary. As for the neighbour!! Words fail me.

Nannarose Thu 18-May-17 14:39:38

It seems very common in such cases for the 'harrasser' to claim some sort of assault. It takes the heat off them for awhile, gets them the kind of attention they like, and muddies the waters.

Some of my elderly relatives were harrassed in a very similar way, with various claims of 'assault' and 'child abuse' being made. Fortunately, no arrest was made, though I know of a very similar case to yours.

Something they found very helpful, was the affirmation of many neighbours (they had lived in the same house for 50+ years) as to their good character. The police were much more sympathetic (both of them were active in the community and knew local police)

They took legal advice, using the legal service provided by their Union (of which they had remained members). Some home insurance includes legal advice as well - worth checking.

I wish you luck.

nanaK54 Thu 18-May-17 15:13:26

*Maidmarion)that is just awful, why on earth did the female police officer 'pull your to up' at all, why didn't she just ask if your bra was underwired.
Wish I had some great words of wisdom....
flowers

nanaK54 Thu 18-May-17 15:13:39

Christinefrance Thu 18-May-17 15:32:06

That must have been so frightening and upsetting for you Maidmarion, neighbours disputes can escalate very rapidly.
I agree with other posters, get some legal help to bring your neighbour and the police to book.
Hope you feel less stressed soon. wine flowers

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-May-17 17:56:35

maidmarion Please take the advice above and get a fixed fee interview with a solicitor.
Do you have family or friend to give you a bit of moral support?
Are you able to consider moving to
somewhere less stressful?

Grannyben Thu 18-May-17 19:16:35

Maidmarion, you must be utterly traumatised and i am so sorry that you are going through this ordeal. I am absolutely no expert but I would assume you were arrested in this manner because your neighbour alleged you tried to stab him. If it had been a more minor alleged offence i am sure that the police would have just spoken to you in your home. Now, again, i could be completely wrong, but I'm sure i was once told that many arrests of this sort are made around 8am as this gives the police all day to deal with the matter. Although it sounds stupid do they schedule in arrests of this sort so they don't get everyone arrested on the same day.
If i could just give one piece of advice it would be to move home. Not for one second am I saying that this is right or fair but i doubt if things are ever going to get any better with him.
I truly feel so sorry for you.

BlueBelle Thu 18-May-17 19:22:24

That's awful no advice that others haven't already given but I can imagine how scary that must have been Awful situation for you

Maidmarion Sat 20-May-17 00:20:47

Many thanks to all for your words of support. I have a solicitor on hand - the Duty Solicitor who came to my aid at the police station. He's a tower of strength and is helping me go forward with a complaint against the police for my 'wrongful arrest'! Thank you again....

Hopehope Sat 20-May-17 00:39:38

Maidmarion, How awful. My stomach is churning for you just reading this, I bet you are going from scared, to upset, to very angry all at once. Your neighbour sounds unhinged to be honest. if you have the energy to do so then yes take this as far as you can. I wish you the best of luck, and please do, as others have said. keep us posted.

Tallulah57 Mon 22-May-17 15:08:13

How awful Maidmarion wish you all the best with your complaint flowers

Maidmarion Tue 23-May-17 20:58:58

Still waiting for an appointment with the 'top dog' ... Could take some time I'm thinking!!

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 21:06:10

Maidmarion that all sounds terrible and I am amazed that you were subjected to such an ordeal merely on the say-so of a neighbour.
Do you have other neighbours who have been troubled by this person?

You need to take further advice as others have recommended on here.
The other thing you must do is to have a written confirmation that your DNA has been taken off the National DNA Database as you have not been charged with any offence.

Saying that there was not enough evidence to charge you is not good enough, you need a full and formal apology.

flowers