Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pension Credit

(11 Posts)
RayL12 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:53:13

Hopefully, this is posted in the appropriate place?

Hello all :-)

I'm currently on Jobseekers Allowance. On Nov 6 2017, I have the option to take Pension Credits. I am due to make a call to an official and give my decision. Before I do I would like as much info as possible and a series of questions to ask.

It seems, to me, the way to go given I am also subject to Bedroom tax but, I cannot be sure?

Questions I have so far are:

Can I take up a free training course while claiming Pension Credits.
Do I have to attend an office while on Pension Ceredit.
How much can I earn above my Pension Credits and how do I declare the earnings.
I am paying bedroom tax; how do I deal with that.
Are there other benefits I am entitled to on Pension Credits?
Can the beginning of the Pension Credits be synchronised with the closure of my Jobseeker allowance.

There must be more questions to add to the list and no doubt many of you have made the crossing to Pension Credits. What has been your experience?

Any other sources of information will be appreciated, disregarding Gov or any connected sources. I find them deliberately lacking and, I have no trust in such.

Thanks for any help and suggestions...

...Ray.

maryeliza54 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:24:57

I really would advise a visit to the CAB

ninathenana Wed 18-Oct-17 00:28:46

So would I.

Nannarose Wed 18-Oct-17 08:27:09

Most of those questions can be answered on-line at gov.uk. You may also find some of the forums on moneysavingexpert.com useful.
Good luck in your decision!

Anya Wed 18-Oct-17 08:55:02

Sorry Ray no experience of any of this so can’t help.

RayL12 Mon 23-Oct-17 01:15:37

OK all, thanks for responses.

kittylester Mon 23-Oct-17 06:32:17

Or contact AgeUk. Thre website is good too.

There are two types of Pension Credit and one will entitle you to free eye tests and free nhs dental treatment, the other won't. Sorry can't remember the differences.

You don't have to attend an office while on pc.

Sorry not to be more help.

M0nica Mon 23-Oct-17 09:26:45

I assume that you will reach the current retirement age on Nov 6 and will move from JSA to state pension.

Pension Credit is only paid to those who are over retirement age and in receipt of a state pension. Its purpose is to bring the income (from all sources) of retired people up to a basic minimum, which is £159 for a single person and £243 for couples. This is called Pensions Credit: Guarantee Level.

If your income is above that you can get Pensions Credit: Savings Level which has a maximum value of about £15 a week and gradually decreases as your income level rises and you would cease to get it if your income, I think, is about £100 above the Guarantee level.

Pension Credit is simply an upgraded pension so you no more need go to a job centre when you receive it than you do when you receive a state pension.

Pension Credit is based on your income, taking account your income from all sources. If you are working, part time or full time, your income will be increased by the extent of your earnings so your pension credit will be reduced by that amount. State pension is not a benefit, but a contributory pension so this is unaffected by whether you work or not. How many hours you work is irrelevant. It is the income it generates that matters.

I am not sure whether pensioners are affected by the bedroom tax. With Pension Credit Guarantee level you are entitled to all the help you get on JSA.

Whether you can still attend free training courses will rpobably vary from course to course and who is running them.

Despite your prejudices the best sources of in formation on this topic are Government websites and advice lines. In the past I have always found the Pensions Agency very helpful. Failing that Age Concern are very helpful. They have a series of Fact Sheets on their website that you will find helpful. Alternatively speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB).

Frankly, any other sources, friends, neighbours, even Gransnet respondents, are going to be a lot less accurate and authoritative than the official sources.

maryeliza54 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:26:43

Anyone reaching state pension age from April 16 will not be entitled to the Pension Saving Credit part

M0nica Mon 23-Oct-17 18:39:16

Which proves the point I made in my last para.

maryeliza54 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:40:25

grin