Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Threatening letter

(75 Posts)
Willow10 Mon 30-Jul-18 09:43:47

I made the stupid mistake of sending an email to my council planning dept. objecting to plans to fell a beautiful horse chestnut tree, reputed to be 200 years old and with a TPO - the first time I have ever done anything like this. The plans were rejected but the person who wanted it felled appealed. The appeal was heard two weeks ago and we are awaiting the outcome. Two days ago I had a letter put through my door from the person who made the application - a very well known local bully. It was aggressive, threatening and demanding that I make a public apology to him within two weeks or legal action will be taken. Frankly it is a joke - I am just a citizen making a perfectly legal objection and have nothing to apologise for. I know he will be desperate for a reaction but I'm not going to give him the satisfaction.

My question is this: He stated that he received a copy of my objection email from someone at the council, and has distributed it to all of my neighbours. I've sent a complaint to the council data protection officer and I'm wondering if he (bully) has breached my privacy also by copying and distributing it?

I can't begin to tell you how distressed I feel over this and after five happy years, I just don't want to live here anymore. My neighbours also objected but I'm the only one to have received this letter - as one person says it's probably because I'm a woman and on my own - an easy target for bullies.

abbey Wed 29-Aug-18 16:24:59

Whilst I know everyone likes to see that all things are "transparent and above board" these days, I think the OP shows how easy it is for such transparency to lead to all sorts of threats ( illegal or otherwise ) . Its not pleasant to end up with such a situation.

The fact is that planning applications these days are online and it is possible to see who has written letters of objection or raised issues. Names are not secret anymore ( I say anymore because in the past you could object and all an applicant would be told is that " there were objections".
Now, all obvious and if you object your neighbours are all given the information.

In many respects this means that sometimes you don't object even if you want to because it will inevitably lead to words, issues, bad feelings or even threats.

Not everything changes for the better.

I know, I have been there and decided not to object because I didn't want anyone threatening me.
The problem is, that some people will be like this and even when confronted by police.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:39:56

He may think that the tree may lessen the chances of selling his house if it is too near the house, the drains and foundations.

Good news anyway!

Chewbacca Tue 07-Aug-18 19:38:25

He probably has to move house frequently because he upsets so many people Willow10. It must be difficult to remain in an area once you've threatened and upset your neighbours to the extent that he has. I'm delighted for you that he's moving on but he'll probably bully someone else in his next neighbourhood. His type usually do!

Willow10 Tue 07-Aug-18 18:27:43

I've had a reply from the council's independent data protection officer and they are looking into the disclosure of my details to this man. But the most suprising thing happened today! Still feeling really unsettled, I was looking on Rightmove to see what was available and lo and behold, his property has been put up for sale! It's the best news I could have wished for, but it makes me wonder - why all the aggravation over the tree and the nasty letter if he wasn't even intending to stay here? I understand he is in the habit of moving house frequently. I wonder if he's also in the habit of stirring up trouble before moving on too. I'll never understand some people.

littleflo Wed 01-Aug-18 11:37:26

I suggest that you make a telephone call to the Council and ask to be put through to the Secretary to the Mayor. You should tell him or her that you believe that a serious privacy breach has occurred by a member of Council Staff. Then ask for the Mayor to contact you.

I have had two occasions where I have had to do this, when I felt Council staff were behaving inappropriately. Both times I received an apology.

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-18 08:41:37

Well done, Willow for showing him you're not to be messed with.

Dolcelatte Wed 01-Aug-18 04:42:14

I am very sorry for your losses. You have handled the situation perfectly.

Eloethan Wed 01-Aug-18 00:58:48

Willow10 It sounds like you have dealt with this matter well and it will all get sorted out. As your other neighbours also objected, I would imagine they are quietly supporting you - so try not to let it get you anxious or depressed.

I hope someone puts this horrible man straight and he doesn't bother anybody again with his bullying ways.

Willow10 Tue 31-Jul-18 17:11:50

What a lovely lot you are!

Chewbacca Tue 31-Jul-18 16:46:50

It's horrible how just one person can cause so much upset and misery, isn't it? Even when you know that you've done nothing wrong, and that this awful man is nothing more than a thug and a bully, it's very upsetting. But you've tackled it absolutely correctly and it sounds as though his days of being the neighbourhood bully are numbered. And you're right, these feelings of unrest will definitely pass.

pollyperkins Tue 31-Jul-18 16:42:49

Our local council publishes all letters with names etc on their website. This has caused a big upset in the village over some new houses which are being built. People who objected have been ostracised, unpleasant things were said and two years on various residents are not speaking to each other which is ridiculous!

Jalima1108 Tue 31-Jul-18 16:35:06

I'm pleased to hear that Willow10 which should help to put your mind at ease and hope you can get a good night's sleep now
flowers

lemongrove Tue 31-Jul-18 16:25:59

Good for you Willow just make sure you don’t react at all to this awful man, even if he turns up at the door or rings you.
Let others take action.
There was a similar case in a village we used to live in, an awful man causing bad feeling over two trees he wanted to take down ( he cut them down anyway!) shock
You and others exercised your civil rights....now try and put it behind you.

gillybob Tue 31-Jul-18 16:18:56

Oh I’m so pleased you are getting good support willow and I’m glad you had the courage to report this nasty bully. It seems that Someone in the council has wrongly passed on your personal details and lessons need to be learned from that too. I know what it’s like when you can’t get a worry out of your mind , it can be draining . Stay strong, you did the right thing . x

Willow10 Tue 31-Jul-18 16:11:55

Well, the police officer has been and once he's got all the information together, they will have a word with this guy. I had a very supportive letter from the councillor who is prepared - along with two others- to vouch for the bully's aggresive and threatening behaviour at the appeal. I also had a reply from the independent Data Protection Officer at the council, who believes there has been a breach of data and is investigating.

The general opinion seems to be that if brains were dynamite, he (bully) wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off!

So why don't I feel any better? Probably because I am exhausted ( not sleeping but drinking tea in the wee small hours) and have a permanent headache. But tomorrow is another day and as my tiny wrist tattoo says - 'This too, shall pass'. (Birthday present to myself!)

Telly Mon 30-Jul-18 20:11:59

You have def. done the right thing, you have a perfect right to your opinion and we live in an environment where you should be able to voice it. Under the DPA information an only be used for the purpose it was gathered so I do think that he has breached it. You are taking all the right actions by going to the police/talking to the council so well done you.

Jalima1108 Mon 30-Jul-18 20:04:29

I made the stupid mistake of sending an email to my council planning dept. objecting to plans to fell a beautiful horse chestnut tree, reputed to be 200 years old and with a TPO

No, you didn't make a stupid mistake Willow10, you did the right and proper thing.
His reaction is out of all proportion.
I hope all your neighbours are supportive too.

Willow10 Mon 30-Jul-18 19:54:05

To be honest it has crossed my mind that he might do something like that. Just have to be vigilant I guess. Why can't some people just live and let live?

Jane10 Mon 30-Jul-18 19:36:55

That's awful Oldwoman70. Trees really matter and can outlive us all. What a terrible thing to do to a tree. I hope the culprit felt the the long arm of the law!

Luckygirl Mon 30-Jul-18 19:02:26

Do please talk to the police. They will not bat an eyelid if you burst into tears - they will be used to this. It will be further evidence of the effect the bullying has had on you.

I do understand why you feel so distressed by this - we all would. Do not feel like a wimp. Heavens,I would be so upset - what a dreadful bully.

But well done you for protecting this tree - you were absolutely right to challenge this.

This man's behaviour is out of order - you have done nothing wrong.

Oldwoman70 Mon 30-Jul-18 18:50:51

Do keep an eye on the tree - I know someone who wanted to get rid of a tree with a TPO on it - he was refused permission but then over a period of time it died so it had to come down. It was later discovered he had drilled holes in the base of the trunk and injected diesel to kill the tree.

Willow10 Mon 30-Jul-18 18:19:28

Amazing isn't it OldMeg! I never imagined there would be so much support. This is the only social media site I've ever contemplated joining and I'm so glad I did.

Jane10 Mon 30-Jul-18 18:09:48

Well done Willow. He sounds an unscrupulous type. Keep an eye on that tree just it case it 'falls down' in the night.
That happened to a listed house near us. A wrecking crew arrived very early one morning and by the time the neighbours could report it the house had been flattened. angry

PECS Mon 30-Jul-18 18:09:04

certainly report it to the police and send a copy of the letter to the planning committee chair. you have a right to feel safe in your home. you have a right to express your opinion on the application. He does not have the right to bully you.

OldMeg Mon 30-Jul-18 18:02:09

Oops. Didn’t realise there was a 2nd page. Good on you for doing just that. ??