Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Passports 50 years ago. Help needed

(20 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 13-Aug-18 15:34:21

My first daughter was born in1965 and was taken to Germany in 1969. She had her own British passport in 1987 but didn't have it renewed. She has now reapplied and has been told her application will be regarded as a first application.
They wanted to know how she came to Germany and whether she had any proof- a ticket or something.
This after 50years!
After much memory searching I seem to remember we travelled on a limited passport and she must have been on
it. Does anyone remember these documents?

I have no old passport for these years. Later she had a German ID and travelled with that, we were always in the car and in the EU so there was no trouble then

M0nica Mon 13-Aug-18 15:39:41

Children used to travel on their parents passports. My father was in the army and I travelled all over the world as a child, but I didn't have my own passport until I was 16. I and my sister's names were just added on to my mother's passport.

annsixty Mon 13-Aug-18 15:41:37

I got my first passport over60 years ago.
It was a paper one, politicised really, and was only valid for a short time.
It was also very cheap.
I think this is what you.
remember.
Also the first passport I had with the children, they were on my passport. I remember when that was finished.

annsixty Mon 13-Aug-18 15:43:09

For politicised read thick card.
I don't know what happens with auto correct.

rubytut Mon 13-Aug-18 15:49:50

Passports used to be available that only lasted a year, maybe she had one of those.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Aug-18 15:54:36

I had my first passport in 1964 (54 years ag) my children travelled on my passport I still have that original black hardback passport with my name in blue ink in a window on the front

silverlining48 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:21:37

Youused to be able to get an annual passport
direct from the post office quite cheaply providing only a photo. but the longer ones needed to be applied for to the passport office. Children always were on a parents passport til about 40or so years ago. Then they had to have their own.
I may be in a similar but reverse position to your daughter having been born in Germany as a german citizen but when brought to England after the war and my german mother married her British husband we both became British.

I have little paperwork from so long ago and Am currently waiting to hear but not sure it will be granted as on marriage I think my mother had to give up her german nationality.

Hope your daughters application is successful. I think it might depend on whether you as her mother retained British citizenship or not. It’s all very confusing but wish her luck,

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:32:34

My children were on my passport and that was not so very long ago, not 50 years anyway. I think it was in the late 1990s that every child had to have their own passports, but by then mine did have because they had travelled abroad without me.

They wanted to know how she came to Germany and whether she had any proof- a ticket or something.
hmm tell them you are not a hoarder!
Perhaps they just need to know if she came with her own family, what an odd question.

Surely if your DD has a British birth certificate she can apply for a British passport? My family live overseas and have to apply for renewal, or, in the case of a child a first passport, through the Regional Processing Centre in New Zealand, but I think this has changed and they have to apply to the UK now.

FlexibleFriend Mon 13-Aug-18 17:46:01

My first passport in my own name was very dark navy with a window in the front as someone said earlier, my son born in 1980 was added to my passport at that time. Also I remember being on my husbands passport, A family passport, these lasted 10 years. You could also get one year passports from the Post office yellowish card I remember but it couldn't be used to travel everywhere, some places still required the 10 year passport. I do still have my original one somewhere kept for sentimental reasons because I'm certainly not a hoarder, it was returned to me when I renewed it with the corner cut off.

MargaretX Mon 13-Aug-18 17:54:50

She is applying for a new passport before Brexit as she has had one for years, she was Au Pair in London, she just neglected to renew it as in the EU she has her German ID.

Thanks to my German DH who is as methodical as most Germans of his age we have found a small letter from the General Consulate in Frankfurt from 1969 stating that she is a British subject and mentioned in my (no longer existing) Passport. I think DH mayhave been applying for Child benefit (Kindergeld)or similar.

We never had this bother when the General Consulate organised our passports. Now its only on-line with Visa Card

Thanks everybody!

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:58:34

Now its only on-line with Visa Card
I wish you success Margaret - I resorted to sending mine by post in the end (had trouble with the photo)

But then I am a doddery old technophobe, according to that article mentioned in another thread grin

MargaretX Mon 13-Aug-18 21:55:54

Doddery or not your posts are always a welcome read!

This Visa with Tan number sent to mobile phone, got us in a terrible mess as DD has no Visa and ours no mobile number
It took us 2 days to change our landline number to mobile number. But now its done. Thats progress!

OldMeg Mon 13-Aug-18 22:27:59

I’m thinking of applying for an Irish passport on the grounds that my grandfather was born in Southern Ireland.

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Aug-18 23:00:59

Presumably the Irish rules allow that - I think for a British passport it has to be a parent.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Aug-18 23:20:27

A bit off piste, my grandmother on her first visit to the United States travelled on a joint passport with my grandfather.

I often wonder what would have happened if one or other had to come home early or at different times.

Hope your DD gets it all sorted quite soon
MargaretX

Fennel Tue 14-Aug-18 10:53:15

My eldest daughter was born in Singapore in 1966 and has a chinese birth certificate. She applied for a british one when she was adult, living in England, and had all the same problems as your daughter,*Margaret*.
Can't find our old passports

baubles Tue 14-Aug-18 10:58:32

Could it have been a British Visitor’s Passport? I remember issuing them when I worked for the old Labour Exchange.

www.passport-collector.com/document-british-visitors-passport-history/

Blinko Tue 14-Aug-18 13:02:18

Same here, Baubles.

MargaretX Tue 14-Aug-18 17:23:04

According to the General Consulate my passport then had a number but that is no help. DDs old passport from 1980 also had a number, but the passport staff can't look at these passports, they don't want to see it to see the info and are too rushed for time to look at the Micro Film I suppose.

DD has to have her Birth certificate now certified- that it is hers?. Anyway Germany doesn't do that anymore, here you have to get a completely new one, as many as you need, but always original.
Does that mean that somebody who was born in England and had the bad luck or good luck to leave those Islands, and who travelled over the years to GB now has no passport after Brexit.
The Consulate prevented her from becoming German until she was 18. Her Nationlity cannot be taken from her! They wrote.
Those were the days
What a mess!

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Aug-18 18:18:31

Your tale is a warning to us all who have relatives overseas to keep their passports up-to-date, Margaret

Sorry, that's not much help to you, but a timely reminder for us. Thank you.