Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Petition for change

(10 Posts)
HAZBEEN Fri 17-Aug-18 09:55:38

Hi Ladies, can everyone please have a look at the petition started by Vicki Macdonald to try to get PIP award to young people with serious disabilities for life.
If you go to www.change.org then search Victoria Macdonald you can read all about it.
Having just gone through all of this with my grandson I am well aware of the impact this system has on both parents and the children themselves.
Please sign if you feel you can. Thank you.

grannyactivist Fri 17-Aug-18 10:12:41

Thank you for posting this - I have put the direct link at the bottom of the post so that it's easier to find it and sign. PLEASE do sign this Gransnetters.

Just this morning I have completed this PIP form for a man who has been learning disabled for all of his life - and in two years time no doubt I will need to help him to fill it in again.
Two years ago this man was referred to my homelessness charity after someone with no experience had helped him to fill in the form. He was subsequently sent for a face-to-face interview and because he was awarded only four points he was found 'fit for work'. We took it to Tribunal where he was awarded a further 20 points and his benefit money was re-instated.

The toll on this man's mental health has been incalculable; for the last two years he has dreaded receiving the PIP form and having to go through the whole ordeal again. His condition has not changed, nor will it ever change. It has taken me three weeks of twice weekly meetings with him to fill out the form, which is like a book it is so long.

If the emotional cost to people of having to complete this form is not a factor then the financial costs incurred certainly should be. It's unnecessary, wasteful and hugely time consuming to process this application - if there is never going to be an improvement and this is endorsed by a doctor why on earth don't the government do away with it?
www.change.org/p/sarah-newton-mp-award-disability-living-allowance-for-life-for-life-long-disabilities

grannyactivist Fri 17-Aug-18 10:15:03

P.S. If you're on Twitter or FaceBook please consider sharing this petition. I don't think many people know that people with lifelong disabilities, illnesses etc. have to reapply for their benefits every couple of years.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 10:17:05

I have signed this petition HAZBEEN. I also have grandchildren with hidden disabilities and the DLA forms are a nightmare to complete.

HAZBEEN Fri 17-Aug-18 10:25:32

Thank you grannyactivist for posting that link, I couldnt get it to post!
As I said my grandson has just been through the assessment, refusal and tribunal to get his benefits after the change from child DLA to PIP. I am also on PIP but because my disability is more physical it was easier to fulfill the criteria, he on the otherhand is autistic which the perimeters dont cover so well.
The main thing is why cant the DWP get their act together and recognise that some conditions/illnesses will never improve?

CassieJ Fri 17-Aug-18 11:51:12

My son also has an "hidden" disability, which he will have for life. He was awarded DLA as a child, but as soon as he turned 16 he had to apply for PIP.
We had an assessor come to the house for the interview. She was hopeless and had no idea of his illness. She asked a few questions, asked if he could make himself a sandwich and then got him to stand on one leg.
We then got the letter to say he didn't qualify for PIP as his needs were no different to anyone else the same age.
None of his ongoing illness was taken into account, the amount of time off school, hospital admissions, infusions, the ongoing fatigue, a pharmacies worth of medication every day -- of course every 16 year old is the same !!

I have signed the link. Thank you for posting

MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 13:14:36

Forgot to say, my DD, DGD, and DGS 3 are currently going through the assessment process, and depending upon the outcome DD will be applying for PIP. We are hopeful, as the two eldest DGS's have been awarded DLA. DD and SiL are not looking forward to the book they will have to write to apply for the other DLA's.

FlexibleFriend Fri 17-Aug-18 13:59:34

I claim pip and don't think the form is that difficult to complete, it's highly repetitive though. I get awarded 2 years at a time for a condition that will kill me. Every 5 years would be an improvement but it's all such a waste of time and money. They most waste more on interviews, appeals etc than if they just handed over the dosh. I do see why they do it really but fgs I'm not going to recover in 2 years, 5 years or my life time so are they hoping I'll trip up on my form filling and they'll save a few bob that way. I've never had a problem with the interviewers, they're always polite and quite chatty but it's all so pointless.

grannyactivist Fri 17-Aug-18 14:33:02

One of the major problems with the form is that it is completely incomprehensible to some people who have a learning disability. It is also completely geared up to focus on people who have physical disabilities.

HAZBEEN Fri 17-Aug-18 15:24:14

I totally agree grannyactivist. But there is another problem with the system in the assessment process. Many of the assessors seem to be either unaware of the medical conditions and their ramifications or are negligent in the way they report. This also happens with ESA assessments, but these are often easier to challenge.
I also used to work with people on benefits in the old YTS and ET schemes and in Job Clubs and the forms then were much easier and more notice was taken of medical reports.