Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Knives

(6 Posts)
callgirl1 Mon 27-Aug-18 00:23:45

What, if anything, can be done about a website that operates from outside the UK that sells, amongst lots of innocent stuff, some very deadly looking knives? Am I allowed to name the website?

Grannyknot Mon 27-Aug-18 08:29:58

Callgirl but you can buy knives on many websites (e.g. chef's equipment sites, hunting equipment sites, Amazon, and more) so I'm not sure what your worry is.

As with so much else, the problem (if there is one) lies with the person buying the object, not the object itself.

OldMeg Mon 27-Aug-18 08:36:14

Yes, indeed. One of the more useful of my kitchen knives has a thin stiletto blade that could cause serious damage very quickly.

I think however you have a valid point callgirl inasmuch as the type of person buying from these sites are also lightly to be those attracted to violence and therefore more likely to buy and carry such a knife.

callgirl1 Mon 27-Aug-18 18:30:52

There`s been a lot of knife crime around here in the last couple of years, I thought that there were laws now regarding the sale and carrying of knives. These knives look quite deadly, and are priced very cheaply. My daughter thinks that I`m worrying unnecessarily as well, so I`ll shut up.

M0nica Mon 27-Aug-18 23:52:33

There are laws about shops selling knives and also carrying knives, but as we all know national legislation is impotent when faced with sites located in other countries.

To a certain extent internet providers like google are expected to remove sites that are pushing unacceptable topics like racial and religious extremism or paedophilia, but selling knives is perfectly legitimate, we all use knives everyday and most of these knives have legitimate uses.

As for control of use. If we had more police on the streets and patrolling the worst areas and stopping and searching then fewer would risk carrying them

giulia Tue 28-Aug-18 06:13:08

Here in Italy, chefs (who carry their own personal knives with them everywhere), are required to have a licence.