Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Equity release

(7 Posts)
trooper7133 Fri 07-Sep-18 08:52:59

My dad died recently and I am sorting out his affairs. Mum is still alive.

They did not make any provision for their retirement and in 2004 they released equity from their house (£65,000). House needed major repairs including new roof.

I found a recent statement which shows that they now owe £200,000!!!

The paper work seems to be in order so I don’t suppose I have any legal redress.

If my mum needs care services/care home in the future it will definitely impact on what she might or might not be entitled to.
I agree that it should impact otherwise everybody would release the equity, spend it and expect the state to provide. I just don’t think my parents would have considered this at the time so wanted to warn others who may be thinking about releasing equity.

loopyloo Fri 07-Sep-18 09:24:42

I would think it would make her more likely to have her care funded by the state. But I agree Equity Release can be a nightmare.

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Sep-18 17:31:43

Well it can work for some people, but it does need to be very carefully gone into, as it's not suitable for everyone.

Some people pay the interest each year so the original debt never grows, and some like your parents just let it build up. That can be a way to avoid the dreaded inheritance tax.

I guess the plus point is that their house will have risen in value quite considerably over the 18 years, probably by far more than the £135,000 interest

Barbs1 Thu 10-Sep-20 17:20:06

Equity release,
I’m thinking of equity release, am single, 62, live alone, work part time , pre Covid worked several ad hoc jobs including nannying via agency. Work is very sparse now and I’ve taken to delivering amazon parcels. Health wise I’m struggling a bit with arthritis in back, awaiting physio. Any advice would be welcomed

SamsMom Mon 14-Dec-20 22:21:58

Hi Barbs1, sorry I've only just rejoined GN so only noticed your post this evening.
We're both retired and have just released equity on our property. So far so good!
We used the charity 'Step Change' and they gave us brilliant advice to suit our needs. They're independent advisors and the service is free. We couldn't have received better or more personalised advice if we'd paid!
We're assured of staying in our own home until the last one of us passes away or moves into long term care and we've released enough £££s to make improvements to our property AND have been able to help our FAMILY out financially (at a time in their lives when they need the cash) . We're very pleased and excited for us all. PM me if you want any further info. All the best ?

M0nica Tue 15-Dec-20 08:20:18

Barbs1 Have you considered downsizing rather than equity release?

Thistlelass Mon 28-Dec-20 23:18:18

Barbs1. I understand. I retired on ill health grounds and subsequently released equity to extend this house. My advice to you would be to look at Nationwide if you can. They offer equity release as well as Interest Only Retirement mortgages. Please be sure if at all possible to get a plan which will allow you to pay the interest, thus fixing the borrowing at around the original level. Perhaps also you could potentially look to claim Personal Independence Payment for your health issues. Please pm me should you wish to discuss further.