Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Deferred pension

(15 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:13:21

Meant to say I was whacked for tax when I chose the lump sum. Hey ho

Elizabeth1 Tue 13-Nov-18 09:57:53

I deferred my state pension for a couple of years as I was still working. The bad news was that when I stopped the deferral I was whacked for tax. Ouch

Humbertbear Sun 11-Nov-18 08:20:56

I deferred my pension 10 years ago so I expect the rules have changed but after five years I got a nice lump sum and an enhanced pension.

Willow500 Sun 11-Nov-18 07:10:59

I'd take the lump sum and enjoy it - just remember to account for the tax they'll deduct before planning how to spend it.

Sweetie222 Sat 10-Nov-18 23:21:13

Take the lump sum if you don’t have any other money for contingencies, this could save you from perhaps having to take expensive loans if you have an emergency.

I added to my pension because although in today’s terms it will take years to recoup, if we have high inflation again it will be well worth having more in an inflation proofed pension.

Remember house prices doubling in a year and 15% mortgages anyone?

J52 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:03:40

Remember that if you pay tax on any other pension, you will be taxed on the lump sum.

Nannarose Tue 06-Nov-18 09:43:01

You can get the figures from the government website, and you've already worked out that it's not worthwhile claiming as extra pension (in my case I thought it was!)
Some of it can be recouped if you die before claiming, unless that has changed. When I deferred it could.

morethan2 Tue 06-Nov-18 08:13:12

Thank you everyone, I think I will wait until next March and just hope I don’t drop down dead before then wink I’d hate to give them even more of my pension. I agree Greta8 I only had to work to 63 before getting my state pension but I remember my 13 month younger sister’s fury at having to work until (I think) 67.

Greta8 Sat 03-Nov-18 10:28:20

Regarding the increase of state pension age for 1950's women, I think it's a shame WASPI have not focused on the 2011 Act alone. I know some women were unaware of the 1995 Act, but I have to say, hand-on-heart, that not only was I aware my pension age would be increasing but also that gave a massive amount of notice. I do accept however, that it was poorly communicated and that message did not reach all 1950's women. However the 2011 Act was a game-changer, minimum notice of up to eighteen months further delay on top of the increases in the 1995 Act. Typical arrogance of the Tory government, probably thinking it's only a few dim 1950's women, we'll get away with it. WASPI and Backto60 are brilliant, I hope their campaigns succeed in getting compension for all woman affected. Even if not, they have been a massive thorn in the side of the government.

gillybob Sat 03-Nov-18 10:09:32

I am one of those women who will have to work until I’m 67 petunia ( if I live that long) . We have all been robbed blind .

In answer to morethan if I were you I would take the lump sum and put it up very good use. How lovely . You may never see it all if you take it a bit at a time .

petunia Sat 03-Nov-18 10:01:46

Now there’s a point. (And this is light-hearted just incase the written word looks a little harsh. I wrote it tongue in cheek) All the 1950’s women who had their pension age changed, for some like me, twice, how about as compensation, the years spent delaying payment were treated as deferred. Ha ha. What a good idea. Think I’ll write to my MP.
Oh hang on, I already did. I was told to put up and shut up. Still, as Ian Duncan Smith is allegedly supposed to have said-the WASPIwomen will all be dead soon. So no worries there then
As to your original post morethan2, I’m sorry I hijacked your post. I don’t know the answer for you

Eglantine21 Sat 03-Nov-18 09:57:26

I took all the lump sums I could from work, state, deceased husband’s pension pot and spent them doing things I a,ways wanted to do. Lots of travel in my case. More than ten years down the line I don’t regret it for a minute.

We’re not a long lived family and I worked out I would be dead long before I got a return on what was in the pot.

kittylester Sat 03-Nov-18 08:31:04

I deferred mine and took the lump sum. It wasn't a huge amount but a nice lump sum.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Nov-18 08:25:16

morethan I was in your position exactly. Adding it to my pension would have made a small difference each time, whereas the lump sum made a significant dent in our mortgage.

Hope that helps.

morethan2 Sat 03-Nov-18 08:20:43

I deferred my state pension two and a half years ago, I’m a bit numerically challenged so didn’t really understand the ins and outs but my husband was still working and I thought it was a way of saving until his retirement. However I’ve now looked more closely at the government website and not so sure I should leave the money there. Apparently I can take it as a lump sum or add it to my pension. Well I worked it out that I’d probably be dead before I recuperated what I’d put in if I add it to my state pension. The other thing that worries me a little is that if I drop dead the whole lot is lost. I’m hoping some clever gransnetter could take a quick look at the websit and give me an opinion? I get the higher percentage if I add to my pension but 2 percent if I take the lump sum. confused