Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Nectar Card Fraud

(12 Posts)
Desdemona Thu 22-Nov-18 15:52:14

I have been saving my Nectar points for several months as I shop at Sainsburys and was planning to use them towards my Christmas shop. Last week I discovered that my balance was really low, and upon checking found out that somebody had spent £50 in an Argos store (I have no idea which branch, Nectar could't tell me.) Nectar are currently investigating - meanwhile if any of you have a Nectar card with any significant account on it, it might be worth checking your balance, as upon searching the internet it would appear Nectar Card fraud is very common.

Emmaline Tue 18-Dec-18 16:42:40

similar experience with the Costa card as my points were taken in two goes. I had been saving them up to spend when my family came to visit .. thankfully when I contacted them I was able to prove my point and they refunded them without any fuss.

Jane43 Sat 22-Dec-18 15:52:30

I read about this type of fraud recently and as you say Desdemona it seems on the increase. It must be very frustrating for you to save them all year then have this happen. I wonder how it happens as I have never used Nectar points any other way than swiping the card in store and paying for groceries this way. Surely they must have to use a password? I hope you get refunded.

PinkSweetPea Tue 15-Jan-19 13:47:38

I had this happen a few years ago, same store Argos and around £45 taken, Nectar said they would investigate, I did get my money back plus they gave me extra Nectar points. I now use my points when they get to around £5-£8 not risking it.

silverlining48 Tue 15-Jan-19 14:13:17

We have about £70 on ours but each time we try to use them when buying shopping it’s refused. We were told to ring and told it was sorted out but that has not been the case. Thanks fir the heads up.

Nanabilly Tue 15-Jan-19 14:15:56

I had the same happen with my Tesco Clubcard points once .. £70 worth. They replaced them

SpringyChicken Tue 15-Jan-19 15:26:13

My friend dropped her nectar card in Sainsbury's (it had a lot of points on it, saved for Christmas) but fortunately, someone handed in to the customer service desk. However, they spent all the points before handing it in. How low is it possible to stoop?

Ohmother Tue 15-Jan-19 17:27:42

SpringyChicken - didn’t the shop have CCTV to identify the fraudsters?

SpringyChicken Tue 15-Jan-19 18:47:37

She didn't realise her points had gone when she got her card back, Ohmother, and then didn't think to ask about CCTV. But unlikely the CCTV would film someone finding her card. It's also occurred to me that the culprit could have dropped the card again so as another shopper handed it in.

Bathsheba Tue 15-Jan-19 18:57:26

Nanabilly I don't understand how you could have the same happen with Tesco Clubcard points, as they are posted to you periodically in the form of money off vouchers. Sorry, genuine puzzlement - am I being a bit naive about this? confused

GabriellaG54 Tue 15-Jan-19 22:40:45

No you're not being naive. Tesco points are sent as vouchers. I received some last week.

Fiachna50 Mon 09-Sep-19 00:33:00

A consumer programme a while back talked about consumers who discovered their points missing on their Nectar card. I usually save up to £20 on it, then just use it for shopping. The one thing that seemed to be common was the people all seemed to have a large number of points on the card when they suddenly went missing.